Associate Director,Alumni Career Program
The Alumni Association of the University of Michigan is looking for an Associate Director, Alumni Career Program to oversee the Association’s Alumni Alumni Career initiative. This initiative connects U-M alumni with the ongoing educational resources and opportunities from the University of Michigan. In addition to the responsibilities and qualifications listed below and most importantly, candidates must share and hold to the highest regard the same values that are uniquely inherent to the Alumni Association: All In, Serving Heart and Solution Seeker.
- Believe in our mission
- Be trustworthy and loyal to AAUM and each other
- Be passionate about what we’re doing and be proud to be a part of it
- Be an employee who goes above and beyond the call of duty
- Be open and willing to listen to others and help in whatever way possible
- You’re dedicated to selflessly following the Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated
- Be willing to put the needs of alumni and staff colleagues ahead of your own, if that is what is best for AAUM
- You’re a creative problem solver
- You’re never satisfied with the status quo
- You find a way to say yes
- You embrace new ideas and approaches
- You’re collaborative, flexible and adaptive
Provide leadership and supervision for the development, management and implementation of the Alumni Association’s career programs. More broadly, support a primary pillar of the Association—Alumni Success—by delivering alumni career development opportunities that encourage their deeper connection with the University of Michigan and the Alumni Association.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver scalable programming that provides career guidance and support to alumni at every life stage. This programming should result in alumni recognition of AAUM and UM as a valuable resource for their lifelong career needs and interests.
- Fully implement all elements of the Alumni Association’s strategic transformation plan for broad-based career resources and support for all alumni.
- Collaborate with other AAUM teams to ensure that alumni career programs are fully integrated with every other communication with, and program for alumni.
- Create a scalable process for systematically harnessing existing and creating new alumni networks, and empowering them to provide professional networking/mentoring opportunities.
- Partner with U-CAN, the campus-based student mentoring program using People Grove to create opportunities for students to be mentored by alumni, and ensure that it is robust enough to also provide for alumni-to-alumni mentoring.
- Develop and provide strong leadership for a University-wide consortium of alumni engagement professionals who effectively and efficiently deliver career services and support for all Michigan alumni. The Career Services Manager should be viewed by campus as the de facto University of Michigan leader for alumni career services.
- Create strategic plans and budgets that align career resources and programs with organizational goals.
- Monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) and adjust programs and resources accordingly.
- Stay current on key industry developments and trends, and ensure AAUM’s Career Services programs remain at the cutting edge of opportunity for our alumni.
- Effectively hire, manage and provide clear direction for members(s) of the Career Services team, ensuring that they are fully committed to AAUM goals and that they have the resources and opportunities they need to reach their full potential.
- Recruit, train and manage alumni volunteers and U-M faculty/staff to deliver quality career development programming to alumni virtually and locally.
- Provide overall organizational leadership by consistently demonstrating AAUM core values (All In, Serving Heart and Solution Seeker), by encouraging other staff members to demonstrate these values, and by holding them accountable when they do not.
- Become a respected representative of AAUM throughout the University, through the specific work of career services, and as one responsible for success of the entire Association.
- Work with AAUM staff members to gain a clear and consistent understanding for the details of the strategic transformation and feel equal ownership of every piece of it, including pieces for which there is not direct responsibility.
- Be inclusive and collaborative with every staff colleague and every other team. Operate as a critical contributing member of the staff to complete objectives in many different areas in order to move the whole organization toward strategic transformation.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff team and Alumni Association events.
- Provide staff support to the AAUM Board of Directors, its committees and other volunteers.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned or required.
- Participate in Alumni Association and other University committees as required.
- Participate in appropriate team and staff meetings.
- Remain current with respect to technology and resources.
- Share knowledge through internal communication.
- Represent the Alumni Association at University and alumni functions as needed.
- Research and stay abreast of current trends in career and networking/mentoring.
- Support the Alumni Association’s vision of becoming more relevant to more alumni.
Currently, direct supervision is received from the President & CEO, though this specific alignment may change in the next year or so.
Direct supervision is exercised over the Assistant Director, Alumni Career Program. May provide direct supervision to some temporary employees.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
- At least five years of professional experience in career development or related field with proven success in strategic program development, implementation and assessment.
- Ability to effectively manage people and programs, as demonstrated through effective and efficient allocation of resources, the productive supervision of others, and the successful implementation of programs and activities.
- Experience advising individuals with respect to career/professional development.
- Proficient at utilizing social media and web-based tools to engage prospective employers and help constituents with career development.
- Ability to think and plan strategically, including analyzing data, extracting trends and applying findings to build or improve programmatic efforts.
- Demonstrated experience leading and executing a project/process from conception to implementation and evaluation, with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to manage several tasks concurrently, continually setting priorities on emerging requirements and changing timelines (multi-tasking).
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills (oral and written), strong organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality internal and external customer service and a desire to work through conflicts and reach consensus. Ability to work independently and collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment.
- A proven ability to generate creative, innovative solutions to issues with a can-do attitude with a mindset to be results-driven.
- Discretion, integrity and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- A Master’s degree is desired.
- Previous experience working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of University resources.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM software.
Some evening and/or weekend work is required. Occasional travel is required.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.