Database Analyst – OBGE
The Data Analyst will work within the Office of Biomedical Graduate Education (OBGE) in the School of Medicine at Duke University and report to the Director of OBGE. This position will oversee, coordinate, and monitor the design, development, modification, and implementation of information technology applications and databases; provide leadership, project management, design tools, and technical support for the management of the database environment; provide training and technical support for staff to achieve effective and efficient utilization of database resources; and arrange secure data warehousing. Data Analyst will be experienced with database structure and design, data procurement/management and analysis, and querying and manipulating data for use in data reporting and statistical analysis processes needed internally for OBGE/School of Medicine and externally by other Duke and non-Duke entities. This position will also be responsible for Abacus (student tracking/data collection app), working with the OBGE team and other stakeholders to develop databases and data management processes for course and program assessments, programming, outcomes research, curating, and analysis systems.
- Interface with Duke student/faculty/institutional data systems (PeopleSoft, DFac, SPS, Scholars@Duke, and related systems) to support the data needs for graduate and postdoctoral training proposals and programs across the institution: Develop queries that extract trainee, faculty, research staff, publication, and funding information from Duke systems (central and local) and external sources. Develop database/data collection/management strategies to securely store data and keep it current. Build custom queries from existing databases; extract and organize data from various data sources for use in training grant data tables, survey responses, and other reporting requirements. Provide data/develop secure reporting for departments as requested. 50%
- Serve as project manager and main administrator for OBGEs Abacus application; serve as liaison with OIT, DHTS, ORI and software development engineers regarding troubleshooting, updates, changes, and project work flow; maintain list serve or other email communication for end-users; assist with analysis of data that may exist in non-integrated systems previously used by trainee programs. Manage data associated with Abacus and provide reporting and analysis as needed.
- Work with Duke school, center/institute, and departmental resources to guide development of applications, databases, and other data-related systems, as needed.
- Contribute to development of a graduate student/postdoc alumni outcomes database. Interface with Graduate School, the Office of Postdoctoral Services, and other entities working to systematize trainee outcomes tracking.
- Develop visual representations of training and OBGE-related data for use in publications, communications, board presentations, etc.
- Create/maintain existing documentation for new and/or existing process.
Work requires demonstrated experience in PeopleSoft or other similar technical environments and in relational database concepts and use of SQL query tools for data mining, research, and ad hoc reporting. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and possess ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic team environment.
- Experience in higher education is a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of relational database design and technologies and of database analysis.
- Experience with complex data environments, including an understanding of the interaction among different enterprise systems.
- Thorough knowledge of reporting methodologies in an SQL environment.
- Experience with all aspects of unit testing, performance testing and user acceptance testing.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, pivot tables, or pivot charts.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in a data science related field or the equivalent training and/or experience in statistics, data analysis, data management.
Requisition Number: 401513469
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 2291 DATABASE ANALYST I
Job Family Level: 12
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field or the equivalent coursework or technical training.
Work requires 2 years of progressive programming or database administration experience to include design, implementation, tuning,backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of relational databases for a complex computer network.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID106460BR