Perform a variety of multi-skilled support functions including specimen collection, receipt and preparation of specimens for analysis, lead support tech; assist with workflow coordination in area; teach and perform routine clerical and technical processes required for the smooth operation of the laboratory unit; responsible for the delivery of supplies to correct location; serve as a liaison to internal and external customers.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures. regulations. as required.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. preparation. maintaining office records.
- Prepare and initiate special tests and procedures including, but not limited to, cytogenetics, general laboratory, Point-of-Care Testing, urinalysis without microscope, phlebotomy, cyto preparatory, and specimen management.
- Assist with coordination of technical activities pertaining to the needs of the operational department, such as, Phlebotomy, Cytology, and Specimen Management.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary for problem recognition and initiation of the resolution and, if necessary, escalation to the next level.
- Obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized specimen preparation procedures including, but not limited to, general laboratory specimen preparation, cytology specimen preparation, cytogentics specimen
- Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external
- Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff; perform messenger/courier activities
- Maintain inventory of supplies; reorder as required; stock supplies on carts and hand trays; wash glassware.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software.
- Assist in training new personnel; provide technical assistance to new employees, students as assigned.
- Make work assignments for Phlebotomy team members, review work of other employees, assist in training new personnel.
- Maintain specimens and/or slides.
- Prepare reagents, dyes, etc. used in the processing of specimens.
- Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures.
- Participate in the development of new procedures, techniques and equipment..
- Participate in rewriting and maintaining lab procedures.
- Assist with word processing, miscellaneous office tasks and
- Lead Support Techs.
- Assist with workflow coordination in respective area.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic and advanced phlebotomy and specimen processing skills
- Knowledge of medical terms preferred.
- Basic computer skills. Effective communication skills.
- Effective professional communication skills to interact with patients/ customers.
- Basic supervisory skills in technical assistance to assist other clinical techs, scheduling, workloads, development of lab procedures.
Requisition Number 401513730
Duke Entity DUKE PRIMARY CARE
Job Code 4032 CLINICAL TECHNICIAN III
Job Family Level C2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
High School diploma or GED. For assignment to phlebotomy, completion of a structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotation recommended.
Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
At least 3 years experience as a Clin Tech II preferred plus achieve required competency level for specified job responsibilities.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
For assignment to Phlebotomy Services, certification as a phlebotomist by a nationally recognized board/agency* may be required; certification of Basic Life Support preferred. National Healthcare Association (NHA) --Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomy Examination (CLPlb), American Society of Clinical Pathologists-- Phlebotomy Technician Examination [PBT(ASCP)], International Academy of Phlebotomy Sciences (IAPS), National Phlebotomy Association (NPA), American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).
Auto req ID 106579BR