The Director of Communications is responsible for assisting in the planning, development and implementation of all of the Department’s communications strategies and efforts, both external and internal, and will coordinate and disseminate news and information to inform and educate the general public, faculty, staff, trainees, and alumni about the department and its faculty, staff and trainees.
Lead the creation, implementation, and measurement of a successful communications plan for the Department, with particular emphasis on the Departmental website.
Coordinate all communications projects, including strategic/concept development, selecting appropriate vendors as needed, coordinating meetings, developing timelines, and developing and adhering to budgets. Collaborate with vendors including web developers, graphic designers, photographers, and freelancers as needed.
- Manage and maintain the departmental website and social media presence.
- Write and distribute regularly scheduled internal newsletter and other forms of internal communications with news and information relevant to faculty, staff and trainees.
- Develop and manage communications budget for the department.
- Develop talking points and presentations for Departmental and institutional meetings, presentations, and visitors.
- Work with School of Medicine, Duke Health, Private Diagnostic Clinic communications and marketing teams to coordinate academic and clinical outreach efforts.
- Work with Duke Health Marketing and Communications Office to develop, direct and oversee marketing and communications activities such as campaigns for new physicians and faculty members, clinical patient care and services, new locations, education and research to appropriate audiences and special programs and identify news stories and publicize research findings and other news related to the Department via local and national media.
- Direct audio, video and written communication projects to promote the department, its faculty, staff and trainees, hiring outside consultants and vendors when necessary.
- Coordinate and manage special events and other activities as requested.
- Project Management for SoM Central Communications
Requisition Number 401514562
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 2781 DIR, COMMUNICATIONS
Job Family Level 14
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of a bachelor's degree program in Journalism, Communications, English or a related discipline.
Requires at least 5 years experience in writing,public relations, communications or related discipline.
- Demonstrated skill, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications activities.
- Working on assignment under deadlines.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong and experienced writer (news articles, feature articles, blog posts, etc.)
- Experience working with outside agencies such as website developers, ad agencies, graphic designers and writers.
- Experience with website content management systems (CMS), Drupal experience a plus.
- Experience with social media strategy development, audience building and analytics (Twitter and others).
- Experience with email deployment systems, such as Contact or Mail Chimp.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work cross-functionally among diverse entities.
Auto req ID 106559BR