Food Service Worker
About Residential & Dining Enterprises:
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. R&DE has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. R&DE comprises 1100+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and Strategic Communications.
About Stanford Dining:
R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations, Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the world’s premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visit www.dining.stanford.edu.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsibilities of the dishwasher include setting up, operating and breaking down dish machine, bussing and scraping trays and storing clean dishes and silverware. If assigned in pot washer area duties would include setting up, operating and breaking down pot sink, cleaning pots and kitchen supplies and putting away clean items. Other duties include general maintenance of building. Routine cleaning of bathrooms. Emptying garbage in dish room, kitchen and dining room areas. Sweeping and mopping dining, kitchen and serving areas. Some maintenance of outside areas of facility.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION:
- Responsibilities in dish room include setting up, operating and breaking down dish machine, bussing and scraping trays and storing clean dishes and silverware.
- If assigned in pot washer area duties would include setting up, operating and breaking down pot sink, cleaning pots and kitchen supplies and putting away clean items.
- Other duties include general maintenance of building.
- Routine cleaning of bathrooms. Emptying garbage in dish room, kitchen and dining room areas.
- Sweeping and mopping dining, kitchen and serving areas. Some maintenance of outside areas of facility.
- Follow guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire.
- Remove and break down all boxes from kitchen and recycle.
- Empty all trash containers regularly throughout the day.
- Clean all sinks in kitchen and servery, and restock with paper towels and soap.
- Throughout the day, sweep and mop kitchen, servery and hallway.
- Daily cleaning of walk-in, kitchen walls and shelving.
- Clean and sanitize tables and food service areas as needed. Keep floor in work area clean and free of debris.
- Clean up spills during meal service immediately.
- Help set up serving line for meals.
- Be available to assist customers with questions regarding food items/ingredients and any assistance they may need
- Cleans and maintains prep area.
- Attend classes, meetings, and training sessions as requested by manager.
- Follow policies and regulations of the University and Department. Report problems to manager right away.
- Ensure proper serving utensils are available.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Flexibility with work assignments.
- Compliance with safety and sanitation standards and work rules.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- Ability to work as a team member on diverse workforce.
- Respectful and professional behavior.
- Knowledge of proper safety and sanitation principles when operating equipment and using cleaning supplies.
- Flexibility with work assignments.
- Able to stand most of the work day.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, manager and customers.
- Must be able to read cautionary labels on cleaning products.
- Must be able to work in hot temperatures, seasonal environment, with daily exposure to hot water.
- Prior kitchen experience or basic knowledge of food preparation techniques desired.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS:
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25-50 pounds must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens).
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."