Network Operation Documentation Engineer Intermediate
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume & a cover letter (this should be the first page of your resume) -- click the Apply Now button above. Your cover letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
- Include your current or ending salary.
- The minimum salary for this position will be $65,000, commensurate with the qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate. If this position is filled at the Associate level, the $65,000 minimum will not apply.
Come join a team of passionate and hard-working individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations! This position will be an integral part of the Network Operations team.
Technical Operations consists of talented, enthusiastic people who are at Merit because they believe in Merit's mission, and because they enjoy what they do. Technical Operations are driven by Merit values and are committed to making a difference in Merit communities.
As part of Technical Operations, the Network Operations team provides high performing network services, infrastructure, security and support to Merit Members, customers, and staff.
The Network Operations Documentation Engineer will report to the Senior Manager Network Engineering. The qualified individual will be responsible for network operations documentation taking documentation from the network operations team converting into appropriate file locations to allow operations team access and assist in setting the technical direction of Merit Network infrastructure and services and to provide excellent customer service to Merit members, staff, and customers. The position may require on-call availability, working during non-business hours and/or weekends, some overtime, and occasional overnight and weekend travel.
Visit our website at: https://www.merit.edu/
Essential Functions for this position are followed by an (E).
As the Network Operations Documentation Engineer, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Network Operations Documentation (65%):
- Update or create new drawings in Visio or equivalent for each site as they are installed or updated/upgraded. (E)
- Uploading documentation, provided from Operations team and MSC into Oracle database. (E)
- Assist in monitoring tickets and provide support of infrastructure including installation, configuration, testing, troubleshooting and documentation. (E)
- Assist with technical support in commissioning, installing, testing, and maintaining Merit's network infrastructure. (E)
- Provide support of infrastructure including installation, configuration, testing, troubleshooting and documentation. (E)
- Operate a Merit vehicle to deliver, configure, install and repair infrastructure equipment at Merit's various network locations. (E)
- Responsible to asset tracking and database updates. (E)
- Deliver a highly customer focused service to Merit members, external and internal customers and Merit staff -- to exceed their expectations both in technical resolution and customer service. Be able to see issues from the customer’s perspective and assess the urgency of requests and respond accordingly. (E)
- Provide customer education/assistance and technical support as required. (E)
- Support Sales quoting and orders, including meeting on site with members, phone consultations and develop Scope of Work plans for members. (E)
- Trouble ticket monitoring and assignment for tickets coming in from the MSC, Sales, Members and internal and external customers.(E)
IP Database Management (20%):
- Manage, and distribute IP assignments (IPv4 and IPv6) for members and customers. (E)
- Interface with Arin and other IP providers for new IP space. (E)
- Establish group subject matter expertise in infrastructure platforms and back up and participate in knowledge transfers with other team members. (E)
- Provide operational/supplemental analysis and reporting as needed for operations, IT and finance partners. (E).
- Participate in professional development activities to continually improve skills and knowledge in the areas of, networking services and customer service. (E)
- Maintain member bandwidth graphs on portal. (E)
- Work with Member Engagement team to provide direction for new and existing customers
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or computer related field or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Two (2) or more years of experience with network engineering infrastructure and/or field service engineering.
- Hardware knowledge and problem solving skills are essential.
- Network-based service monitoring and management tool experience with focus on troubleshooting and service issue resolution.
- Experience with using diagnostic tools such as IPERF, Multicast Beacons, OTDR, and optical power meters.
- Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a highly-functioning and productive team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated communication ability in writing skills (e.g., reflecting sensitivity to tone, audience, and organizational politics).
- Demonstrated excellence at maintaining strong working relationships with multiple customers, organizations, vendors, management, and peers.
- Ability to interact with technical and non-technical customers in a positive and supportive manner regardless of circumstances.
- Knowledge of host-based services and some understanding of Unix and Windows.
- Experience with technical tools, updating database software, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat Pro. Proficient at using email, shared calendaring, and other collaborative applications.
- Must be self-motivated and work well within a team environment and also have the ability to work independently.
- Experience with 24x7 environment relating to service support policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN systems, networks, and applications, including TCP/IP networking, sub-netting and routing protocols, multicast, IPv4, IPv6, Voice over IP and PBX experience desired.
- Experience with network monitoring/analysis tools such as ZenOSS and/or Arbor Network tools a plus.
- Optical network knowledge and experience.
- Experience with operating Palo Alto, Cisco ASA, Firewalls.
- Experience in development multi-platform enterprise monitoring architecture.
- Experience working in a security operations center and being part of an incident response team.
- Experience in systems operations by using Industry Standard methodologies such as ITIL.
- Experience with Confluence, JIRA, and Footprints.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations a plus.
- Be available to work occasional overtime on short notice when required and participate in on-call duties.
This position is being posted at the intermediate level, but we will consider filling it at the Associate level depending on the qualifications, experience, and education of the preferred candidates. If filled at the Associate level, salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications, experience, and education level; the $65,000 minimum salary will not apply at the Associate level.
Merit Network offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities. This position receives 24 days of vacation per year, paid sick leave with provisions for extended benefits, opportunities for professional development, and retirement options with 2-for-1 matching that include TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. Please visit https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness for full benefits information.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication. Employee may on occasion be required to move items of various sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, work schedule will be determined by supervisor and may change if necessary. There may be some occasional work required outside of established schedule, which may include weekends and holidays. Typical work schedule is 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday for most staff.
Occasional travel may be required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network Inc. conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
openings are posted for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.