Application Programmer/Analyst Intermediate
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Kidney Epidemiology and Cost Center (KECC) carries out research in epidemiology, public policy, economics, and outcomes research relating to End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), chronic kidney disease, kidney dialysis, and organ transplantation. (www.kecc.sph.umich.edu/). KECC maintains a comprehensive historical database of over 3 million ESRD patients drawn primarily from Medicare data.
KECC's computer system includes more than 20 servers, a secure virtual infrastructure, and more than 250 terabytes of disk storage. SAS, Oracle, and R are the primary data management and analysis software used by KECC. Approximately 70 faculty and staff members work all or part of their time at KECC.
Work with passionate and elite experts in the field and in a friendly environment. This is a rewarding career, with excellent benefits, helping people with Kidney Disease by utilizing data to create reports to improve patient’s access to better facilities and outcomes.
- Development and maintenance of the KECC databases using SAS as the primary platform.
- Work with senior staff to complete the monthly, quarterly, and yearly updates of the KECC ESRD database, which is a comprehensive historical database of more than 3 million ESRD patients drawn primarily from Medicare data.
- Analyze multiple input data sources for changes in format or content as part of the database production process.
- Plan and carry out modifications to the database and related software to accommodate these changes. Prepare sets of standard analysis files including Medicare claims and other data sources.
- Work with the Programming Supervisor and research analysts to determine data reporting requirements. Design new systems or modifications to existing systems to meet these needs, and assess alternative solutions.
- Analyze and explore new data sources to assess their appropriateness for meeting these needs. Design analytical files involving the integration of data from many sources.
- Prepare detailed system documentation, including data dictionary tools (in MS-Access or similar software), and researchers guides. Prepare and carry out detailed testing plans to verify the proper operation of the systems and to validate the data in the databases. Opportunities to participate in all phases of the research process through publication.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, health policy, social science, or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Three to five years of experience using SAS for data management, statistical analysis, file merging, table lookup, etc..
- Minimum one year of experience programming in Python.
- Proven experience developing and managing relational databases of significant size, including building table relationships and establishing documentation to ensure regular database updates.
- Programming documentation, testing, validation and reporting experience in a production-oriented environment.
- Ability to work effectively with a team of researchers and programmers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using version control software such as GIT.
- Experience with Medicare or other insurer claims databases.
- Statistical training or experience, including survival analysis.
- Experience in technical and research writing.
- Experience in Oracle and/or R programming.
- SAS Certifications.
- Familiarity or experience with Lean management principles.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.