Student Account Assistant
- Full Time
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are seeking a Customer Inquiry Clerk to join our Student Financial Services team in Financial Operations. The Student Financial Services area invoices, collects payment from, and provides customer service for the more than 46,000 students enrolled at the University’s Ann Arbor campus. This position serves an important role as the initial point of contact for student financial account inquiries.
- Answer inquiries and requests received by phone and e-mail from students, parents or University departments concerning student account activity. Review and analyze student accounts for accuracy and initiate corrections, as required.
- Review current term error list for Graduate Student Assistant Tuition Waivers and process corrections when necessary. Review and adjust prior term waivers as requested by students and University departments.
- Review accounts to be collected and update on-line collection list to create system-generated dunning notices (e.g. 1st notice “Urgent” letter, 2nd notice “Final Letter”). Review accounts and determine whether to send to Student Loan Collections for further collection efforts or initiate account write-off.
- Review monthly past-due participant payment plans and cancel delinquent plans as necessary. Answer questions and advise students or parents on payment plan budgets and policies.
- Post and reconcile wire and check payments for executive education programs.
- Research and process approved student account refunds.
- Review and respond to requests for late payment fee reversals and process late payment fee if appropriate.
- Review and respond to requests for hold releases as well as various miscellaneous requests received from students, parents and university departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of high school education, with college degree preferred.
- One to two years clerical experience in a business office or University setting.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks with varied deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism during difficult conversations.
- Working knowledge of PCs and desktop software, preferably Microsoft Office Suite and Google Gmail.
- Previous customer service experience
- Experience working with complex financial and student administration systems (Oracle PeopleSoft helpful).
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at the University of Michigan.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of more than $8 billion, is a leader in higher education. The Finance Division reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, and partners with the University community to provide the financial infrastructure essential to being one of the world’s greatest public universities. We are comprised of several units including Treasury, Financial Operations, and Financial Analysis. Comprised of several distinct divisions, we share a common set of values and goals. For more information about the Finance Division, please go to www.finance.umich.edu
We offer an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, two for one retirement contribution after a year of service, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, these are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
Financial Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.