Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
Location : Oxford Road, Manchester
Closing Date : 02/12/2018
Salary : £32,236 to £39,609 per annum
Employment Type : Fixed Term
Faculty / Organisational Unit : Science & Engineering
Division : Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Hours Per week : Full Time
Contract Duration : Fixed term from 1 December 2018 until 30 November 2019
This position is funded by UMI3 as part of a proof of principal (PoP) project that aims to develop suspended graphene VOC sensors created at the University of Manchester into a line of commercial products that address market demand for selective, non-invasive air quality monitoring systems. The successful applicant will work as part of a team dedicated towards the commercialisation of cutting-edge scientific research. This team includes senior academics at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, technology transfer officers and business advisors at Graphene Enabled Systems Ltd. and process engineers at a partner microfabrication facility. The PoP project aims to demonstrate high-yield, scalable production of suspended graphene devices through manufacturing trials at a partner microfabrication facility and to demonstrate methods by which suspended graphene transistors can be reliable engineered to exhibit exclusive sensitivity to specific VOCs.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Advise process engineers regarding the handling, transfer and processing of graphene films in a cleanroom environment.
- Systematically research the effectiveness of chemical functionalisation and output signal processing of suspended graphene devices as methods for inducing specificity to target gases.
- Compile, and deliver research milestone reports in collaboration with technology transfer officers and business advisors.
We are recruiting a high calibre individual with a background in nanotechnology, device physics or electrical engineering as the Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on this PoP project with University of Manchester academics and Graphene Enabled Systems Ltd. in Manchester.
The School is committed to promoting equality and diversity, including the Athena SWAN charter for promoting women’s careers in STEMM subjects (science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine) in higher education. The School holds a Bronze Award for their commitment to the representation of women in the workplace and we particularly welcome applications from women for this post. Appointment will always be made on merit. For further information, please visit: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/connect/jobs/equality-diversity/awards/athen...
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies
Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews:
Name: Dr Max Migliorato
Tel: 0161 275 4499
Tel: 0161 850 2004
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date
More searches like this
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Research Associate jobs in Greater Manchester
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physical Sciences Research Associate jobs in Greater Manchester
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Electrical & Electronic Engineering Research Associate jobs in Greater Manchester
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Research Associate jobs in Greater Manchester