Assistant Shop Technician
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Assistant Shop Technician will provide support for the machine shop facilities in the Aerospace Department, including the GALCIT Machine Shop and the EOS additive manufacturing 3D Metal printer. This is an exciting opportunity for a person with an aptitude for machining and an interest in developing design techniques to gain experience and acquire skills on a variety of advanced computerized prototyping and standard machines.
This is a 2 year term position.
- Create components, equipment, and assemblies to exact tolerances and dimensions.
- Run and maintain EOS metal 3D printer.
- Intake part files and prepare files for printer.
- Post-process 3D printed parts.
- Prepare build plates for EOS prints.
- Learn and implement design techniques for additive manufacturing.
- Interface with customers to develop designs for additive manufacturing.
- Instruct students in basic shop knowledge such as design for fabrication and shop drawings.
- Operate conventional and CNC mills and lathes.
- Program parts using CAD-CAM (Virtual Gibbs, Mastercam) software from SolidWorks models.
- Inspect, measure, and test constructed components and parts to prescribed specifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of machining tools, including mills and lathes.
- Good understanding of CNC equipment and associated software programs.
- Some experience with CAD software such as SolidWorks.
- Basic knowledge of high technology tools including water jet, laser cutter, and 3D printers.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and manuals.
- Ability to use precision tools (e.g. calipers) to take accurate measurements.
- Knowledge of the properties of metal and other materials, and the corresponding cutter feeds and speeds.
- Must be able to work assigned work hours Monday through Friday.
- Must be dependable, mechanically inclined with good organizational skills.
- Experience in machine shop practices, including basic knowledge of the safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to design and/or modify work to improve function and efficiency.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Some experience in mechanical/hardware design.
- Ability to use MS office applications and navigate to internet sites.
- High level of interpersonal skills to effectively interact with faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students and Institute staff.