Perform parking enforcement and public contact work in support of campus parking, transportation and security operations.
- Work involves helping to manage parking and traffic by patrolling parking lots and roadways via foot, vehicle, bicycle, or other mode of transport and by monitoring activities.
- Work includes monitoring assigned areas for possible violation of policies, regulations, and rules of conduct; recognizing and reporting unusual, suspicious, or hazardous situations; providing information and assistance to the public; operating and maintaining enforcement equipment; and maintaining related records and reports.
- Work requires knowledge of the parking/permit rules and/or parking enforcement practices and digital equipment; basic knowledge of standard methods of reporting and handling emergencies such as disturbances and fires, medical and security threats; knowledge of applicable policies, rules, and regulations. Maintains confidentiality and discretion in the course of conducting business; works individually and/or with others; and adapts to change and circumstances. May require shift, weekend, and/or overtime work.
- Provide customer service by answering questions regarding directions, events, building locations and parking policies.
- Issue citations and warnings for non-compliance with a computerized hand held computer or manual tickets. Impound, boot or relocate vehicles as directed.
- This position requires the ability to work alone and therefore must exercise proper judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with people.
- Assist maintenance/ staff with duties related to parking equipment and facility/gate upkeep and maintenance.
- Assist in the collection and security of all monies received through parking meters, multi-space machines , pay on foot technology and any other means of collecting parking revenues and fees.
- Assist event staff with activities related to parking for events. This includes but is not limited to: setting up for events, traffic control, receipt of payment for parking, and lot usage control/monitoring and other duties as advised.
- Assist office staff with activities related to permits and permit violations during peak seasons. This includes but is not limited to data entry and providing front line customer service.
- Deescalate difficult situations by remaining calm, being empathetic and maintaining impulse control.
- Ensure compliance with University policies, including parking rules and regulations and perform appropriate enforcement action.
- Perform simple vehicle maintenance procedures such as checking fluids and reporting mechanical or other problems to supervisors.
- Observe and report unusual conditions.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. Other duties as assigned by director or senior management team. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Requisition Number: 401512937
Duke Entity: CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code: 455 PARKING OFFICER
Job Family Level: 05
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Must have High School Diploma or GED and 1 year of parking experience or greater is preferred.Must possess and maintain a valid North Carolina Driver's License.Pass or achieve an acceptable score on all pre-employment screening.Pass a background investigation and drug screen.
Prefer one year of experience in a security/parking related field.Customer service experience is a plus.
Auto req: ID106440BR