Acquisitions Editor, Humanities
Department Name Qatar University Press
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Duties & Responsibilities
He/she is responsible for seeking out scientifically sound and commercially viable projects in humanities to manage and produce, that are consistent with the Press's vision and mission. He/she is required to study the viability of humanities book projects that are proposed onto the editorial committee of the Press. He/she gives feedback on setting content requirements, oversee publication date schedules, ensure that acquisitions and sales goals are met and develop budgets. He/she ensures the management and processing of peer-review process of humanities books and articles. This will involve tracking completion dates among the editorial team, searching for and inviting referees, communicating editorial feedback to authors. He/she is required to liaise both upward and downward for the completion of publishing processes of humanities projects. Networking and maintaining sustainable relationships with authors, referees, clients and stakeholders is essential.
- To seek-out scientifically sound and commercially viable projects in humanities, ranging from books, journals and institutional collaborations.
- To assess and advise on viability of humanities projects, whether related to books, journals, collaborations, partnerships, etc...
- To approach prospect institutions and individuals that may produce viable humanities scholarly projects, in line with the Press’s vision and mission.
- To respond to prospect authors and institutions’ publishing queries whether for books or journals.
- To advise on initial review of book proposals, as well as give feedback and advise on plagiarism reports.
- To handle the acquisitions of humanities journals and support the management of journals.
- To assign referees and ensure peer-review process of book proposals and articles.
- To communicate editorial feedback to authors and referees through editorial manager or other publishing software.
- To mediate between authors and the production section, in order to ensure that copyediting and revisions are processed in a timely manner that will not jeopardize the release date of the publications.
- To propose criteria for the assessment of projects and their viability.
- To search and propose new referees in humanities.
- To develop databases related to the acquisitions of humanities projects, including authors, referees, readers, etc…
- To ensure the collection and archiving of agreements with institutions, authors and other stakeholders.
- To determine humanities acquisitions objectives, strategies and budgets and ensure that acquisitions and sales goals are met.
- To edit standard letters and communications related to humanities acquisitions on QU Press website, newsletter and promotional tools.
- To handle the budgeting, planning and effectiveness of the humanities acquisitions.
- To represent and promote the Press within conferences and events.
- To support QU Press director with any other related assignments.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor (humanities), Master degree is preferred.
- Arabic (required) -English (required)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience within a higher educational research related environment involving academic journals and faculty research.
- At least 2 years of experience in a press, journal, or magazine.
- Demonstrates the ability to professionally connect and communicate with prospect authors, referees and collaborators with the Press within Qatar and beyond.
- Project management experience that includes customer support, marketing and sales is an advantage.
- Multilingualism is an advantage.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 06-Jan-2019