Senior Layout Designer
Department Name Research and Graduate Studies
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Layout Designer is in charge of making sure that the layout of the content of any publication is performed to standards of the press and in-line with international presses. He/she should the articles and books content to publishable versions in pdf and XML formats. He/she should proofread the content and ensure that the layout is consistent with the research methods, QU Press guidelines and appealing to the readers. He/she is responsible of producing the final layout for books and articles, this includes the front and back cover designs of books.
- To verify the font, format and layout of books and articles content and covers.
- To ensure proper placement and spelling for authors’ names, titles, biographies, ISBN, DOIs, contributors, registries, etc…
- To design the final pdf version and Xml coded version of books and articles.
- He/she might work on a specific production software to produce books and articles.
- To make sure that chapters content follow the same sequence of table of contents.
- To ensure document structure and content are consistent.
- To ensure page numbers are in the right order and not repeated or omitted.
- To make sure that Arabic content is not flipped (especially numbers).
- To make sure citations and references are designed based on the publishing guidelines of the Press.
- To make sure all logos, titles, contact information (if any) on front and back covers are displayed correctly and accurately.
- To liaise with copy-editors and acquisitions in order to get final approval on content and design.
- To stay abreast with new technologies that speed up the production while improving the quality.
- To familiarize himself/herself with each publication’s guidelines and style guide and provide feedback/updates to the Production Manager and related team members.
- To create a checklist for production milestone with the Production Manager.
- To keep all information about a submitted manuscript confidential, sharing it only with those involved in the review and publication processes.
- To perform other relevant duties as needed.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree is preferred in graphic design or any other related field.
- Arabic (Fluent)
- English (Fluent)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience within an editorial, or communications environment preferably in a university setting.
- Previous working experience in press, journal, or magazine.
- Familiarity with the production process for books and articles.
- Demonstrates professionalism and integrity in dealing with team members.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 06-Jan-2019