Translator for Arabic, French, English
Department Name Research and Graduate Studies
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Duties & Responsibilities
The translator at QU Press is required to accurately translate books, articles, promotional scripts and other related translations for the Press. He/she should meet translation schedules and be able to prioritize and organize translations to meet publication deadlines. He/she is required to coordinate specific translation projects with QU faculty members and/or students. He/she should make sure that translations have minimal spelling, citation and writing mistakes and ensure that the content is in line with the Press’s writing style. He/she is responsible for offering feedback when required and ensure that feedback to authors is constructive. He/she is required to develop the translation performance in the assigned language/s.
- To agree on translation projects milestone and priorities with the translation section head.
- To translate assigned projects with accuracy, in line with the writing style and publishing standards of each discipline at QU Press.
- To follow the translation guidelines of QU Press.
- To coordinate with assigned translators from QU or externally (if any).
- To help prepare the action plan and budget for translation projects.
- To ensure that authorship criteria are met to the best.To liaise with the production and acquisitions team in order to perform translation projects on time and in line with the publication deadlines and contracts.
- -To work on any other translation related requests for the Press as required. To adapt to new translation tools or software of the Press.
- To guide students or faculty members on translation guidelines, when required.
- To maintain integrity and high ethical standards at all times and avoid situations that could lead to a conflict of interest.
- To keep all information about a submitted manuscript confidential, sharing it only with those involved in the review and publication processes.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor, Master degree is preferred in translation studies (English and Arabic proficiency is a must)
- Arabic (required)
- French (required)
- English (required)
- Other languages are preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in translation preferably in a University or publishing company/press setting.
- Demonstrates ability to productively work within a team.
- Have a previous related work experience in a press, journal, or magazine.
- Demonstrates proficiency in copyediting and citation checking.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract. Salary is commensurate with experience. Tax-free salary. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies. End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 06-Jan-2019