Associate Dean, Graduate Programs
The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs will work in collaboration with academic and professional staff based in Townsville, Cairns, Singapore and Brisbane. The incumbent will be accountable for the strategic planning, curriculum design, program delivery and continuing development, maintenance and improvement of the suite of graduate level programs offered across the College of Business, Law and Governance, meeting current and future needs.
With a clear focus on student experience, the Associate Dean, Graduate Programs will lead curriculum innovation and build a strong brand for College graduate programs in a highly competitive domestic and global market, partnering with business leaders and global organisations to drive growth of our flagship MBA Global program and other graduate level courses and programs.
James Cook University
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
College of Business, Law and Governance
- Lead the strategic design and the delivery of the online MBA Global and other graduate level offerings to position our programs and graduates as leaders in a global market, acknowledging the importance of life in the Tropics.
- Ensure student-centred flexibility is the focus of all graduate program design to further enhance the student experience, blending our on-campus and digital spaces to offer students a cohesive, agile learning environment.
- With a vision for the needs and development of the Tropics, forge strong strategic research alliances and enterprises within the University as well as externally with local, regional, national and international partners to enable interdisciplinary and industry aligned curriculum and research opportunities.
- Engage with contemporary research and practices in university education with a focus on graduate programs, in order to inform leadership in this role and to sustain a strong portfolio of research relevant to graduate programs
- Provide whole-of-course oversight and coordination of the graduate level suite of programs ensuring that academic standards and assessment standards meet quality and performance indicators, that accreditation requirements are complete and domestic and that international rankings are enhanced.
- Exercise strong financial and budgetary management for the suite of graduate level programs, ensuring program objectives are met within frameworks and timetables as set and required by the College, Division and University.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships and collaborative working relationships with JCU shared service providers, particularly Enrolments, Marketing, Recruitment, and Curriculum Management to ensure key College objectives are understood, facilitated, and met.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Associate Dean, Graduate Programs is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- This is a transformational leadership position and evidence of successfully managing change will be important. A track record of influencing through multi-faceted collaboration within networked, cross-functional teams will be evident in your career.
- A high level of leadership and management capability and credibility gained through academic program development, extensive education and/or research accompanied by a strong record of involvement in setting strategic direction, undertaking strategic planning and/or implementing business education development objectives.
- Extensive knowledge of graduate level education, including national and international higher education strategic influences within business and related disciplines.
- PhD in a relevant discipline and extensive experience in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
- Research and/or business development experience within the social, economic and environmental dimensions of the Tropics.
- Experience in developing an MBA program tailored to a university’s profile and market data.