Cultural Heritage, Developer Technician Lead
Yale University houses preeminent cultural and natural heritage collections (Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale Center for British Art, Yale University Art Gallery, Yale University Library and Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History) in pursuit of its mission to improve the world today and for future generations through outstanding research and scholarship, education, preservation, and practice. Yale’s collecting organizations complement physical collections with born-digital materials and through transformative digital systems to improve and expand access, streamline academic work, incorporate resources worldwide from other institutions, and provide a platform for developing new ways to conduct research, teach, learn and publish.
Information Technology Services (ITS) seeks a Senior Software Engineer to be a hands-on developer who will provide technical leadership to other software engineers in developing innovative web applications that support shared practices across Yale’s collecting organizations as well as the global cultural and natural heritage community. This person keeps current with existing and emerging cultural and natural heritage technologies, standards, and best practices; and, participates in higher-education cultural and natural heritage conferences, projects, and standards groups to stay apprised of industry direction and opportunities for collaboration.
Through close collaboration with the library, galleries and museums, this person provides vision, planning, guidance, consultation, mentoring and coordination of cultural and natural heritage multi-departmental software development projects. This person ensures that applications are designed and deployed to provide ample performance to process large volumes of information in a variety of formats including but not limited to text, images, audio, video, metadata, structured data, and unstructured data managed by Yale’s libraries, galleries, and museums.
The person will participate in the implementation of programming standards and methodologies to improve overall efficiency in developing, deploying and operating reliable software applications. Senior Software Engineer actively engages in all aspects of the software application life cycle from user input through design, code development, quality assurance, operations, continuous improvement, and decommissioning.
- Provides an overall leadership role. Serves as a technical advisor to programmers and provide technical guidance to leadership to assist with the formulating of long range development plans.
- Leads efforts to evaluate University business and administrative processes and needs; identifies, analyzes and defines systems requirements for large administrative areas. Designs and implements large and highly complex administrative systems.
- Leads the planning, development and implementation of business solutions. Ensures stakeholder and intended user's needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets are met or exceeded.
- Defines and executes quality assurance and unit testing procedures to ensure high quality solutions. Monitors effectiveness and efficiency of applications and systems and conduct initiatives to improve system availability, cost, performance and manageability across the life cycle. Performs highly complex and unusual problem solving.
- Leads, plans, and manages major projects; including architectural design, technology selection, and methodologies to apply. Advises and influences both internal and external consulting teams.
- Develops and oversees production support functions and integrates system requirements among several departments. Formulates systems design schedule and writes program modules.
- Leads and ensures ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems. Leads technical evaluations. Interface with vendors to resolve major software issues. Responsible for final decisions on purchases of hardware and software products
- Trains, mentors, and develops technical staff. Leads and oversees support for training of end users.
- Recommends and creates new policy. Creates and utilizes best practices.
- Takes a leadership role in keeping current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides leadership in the ongoing establishment and use of programming standards and methodologies, with intent to improve overall efficiency of group and client satisfaction.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and six years of related work experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability leading a high-performing team of software application and web application developers, working in a team environment using source control packages such as GitHub, SVN, Team Server.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability programming in Java, including J2EE, and the xml family of technologies. Additionally, having abilities in at least one more of the following: Ruby, C#/.Net, Python, Objective-C, C++, PHP.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability working with relational databases such as MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, and/or Microsoft SQL Server.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Exhibits excellent application architecture, design, and coding skills; including conducting team code reviews.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- Master’s in computer science or related field & 10 years of related experience, or equivalent. Experience with cultural heritage standards (MODS, MARC, Dublin Core, Darwin Core, BIBFRAME, IIIF); digital asset management systems (e.g. Preservica, NetX); continuous integration/deployment (Jenkins, Maven, Ansible); IaaS/PaaS cloud environments; WAI-ARIA standards/practices; Apache Camel.
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus