Application System Specialist
Reporting to the Technical Lead, YSM Financial Operations Business Systems Planning and Analysis, position works as a member of the development team to build applications and business solutions for the YSM Community in an iterative manner to insure application functionality meets client needs. The role actively assists in the development, implementation and support of advanced technical solutions using a variety of software, applications and languages including, but not limited to, Microsoft Power Bi and Tableau, SQL, FileMaker Pro, WebDirect, Microsoft Excel/Access, DHMTL, jQuery, XML and XSLT.
The position utilizes technical expertise, including an understanding of relational databases and the use of a variety of query and data retrieval tools, to extract, combine, manage and present data. He/she joins data from disparate data sets via API integration in support of the goal of creating reports and analyses that are holistic and could span across mission areas (teaching, research, and patient care). The role gathers, receives and interprets data, analyses and reports. The position develops reporting modules, ad hoc reports, and related reporting tools.
In partnership with the Technical Lead, this position serves as an application developer within the Business Systems Planning and Analysis team. The incumbent interacts regularly with customers to obtain feedback and communicates to the rest of development team. He/she assists in resolving any conflicts/issues after application go live and trains users as needed. The position develops and harnesses the data that is available to identify existing business issues and key drivers and develops solutions and initiatives. Finally, it develops an understanding of the university organizational structure and related data, including demographics, compensation, clinical measures, grant and contract information, and research space.
- Performs expert functional lead/gatekeeper support via phone and email to colleagues and identifies and analyzes all application, access, policy, procedural, and network related issues, to recommend solutions and assist user with resolution.
- Works with application functional owners to oversee quality assurance audits and controls of functional support; ensures accuracy and completeness of functional support.
- Makes recommendations to management and application functional owners for improvements in functional support.
- Interprets and adheres to University Appropriate Use Policy (AUP) and procedures including HIPAA guidelines; assures compliance with University required security, information technology and financial and administrative policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoots application problems and escalates complex problems as needed for timely resolution.
- Takes leadership role in application training, internal documentation development.
- Ensures adherence to the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) process management framework as it relates to functional support and, with the ITIL process owners, ensuring consistent and efficient Incident and Problem resolution, error reduction and continuous process improvement.
- Reviews client satisfaction survey data and follows up with relevant staff when required.
- Provides backup coverage including accounts and access creation, modification, maintenance and deletion.
- Represents the Service Desk on committees and project teams.
- Provide IT sustainability consulting advice to faculty, staff and students in the course of providing help desk support.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated strong understanding of API integrations independent of language or platform.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated both strong SQL and FileMaker Pro development (FileMaker up to version 17) as well as integration between these two data databases and external services and data feeds.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated hands on use of Microsoft Power BI and/or Tableau for data visualization including dashboards and ad hoc reporting.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated strong customer services skill as the candidate will be asked at times to work directly with the customer to elicit requirements, prioritize customer requests and provide direct support.
Weekend Hours Required: Occasional
Evening Hours Required: Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus