Chef de Cuisine, Dining Services
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Chef de Cuisine is the primary executor of the Executive Chef’s culinary vision. Responsible for working with the Executive Chef in forging a culinary direction for Caltech Dining and managing the daily food production based on menus and recipes provided by the Executive Chef. The Chef de Cuisine directly manages two sous chefs and a cook 2 to ensure production quality and quantity. Expected to participate in creation of staff improvement plan with Executive Chef and be the primary executor of the plan by demonstrating skills to staff, ensuring proper training throughout the kitchen, and supporting staff through the learning process. The Chef de Cuisine directs and supervises staff in production of menus in a variety of Institute venues. Responsible for supervising staff in set up, production of food, food standards (flavor and presentation) and sanitation of cooking areas. Responsible for managing production amount, ordering food, supervising staff and managing waste. Ensure staff cleans stations at end of shift. Responsible for all functions of kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
Caltech Dining Services expects that the person holding this position to possess or actively pursue and successfully obtain ACF Certification as a Chef de Cuisine.
- Comfortable with all cooking techniques and able to perform them in high pressure situations for VIP guests
- Ability and patience to teach cooking techniques to develop the culinary staff’s ability level
- Possess or seek and attain ACF certification as a Chef de Cuisine
- Will be the primary chef at VIP catering events
- Interact with VIP customers and represent Caltech Dining in a positive manner
- Assist in initial staff evaluations and coordinate and consult with the Executive Chef on staff improvement plan
- Conduct daily staff evaluations; performance will be evaluated on staff improvement
- Provide management oversight and leadership to the kitchen
- Put the Executive Chef’s vision into production by providing necessary training to sous chef and cooks, coordinating with sous chefs to ensure proper ordering, appropriate products, instructing staff on proper techniques, and managing waste
- In the case of the Executive Chef’s absence the Chef de Cuisine will be expected to act as the primary culinary decision maker for Caltech Dining Services
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to establish and implement standards, team work, team training, processes and practices where efficiency, quality, performance and cost savings can be improved
- Cultivate a positive and productive workplace through communication, vision, teamwork and commitment; reinforcing Dining Services values and beliefs through words and actions
- Cultivate a positive relationship with the students – engage with and utilize student feedback
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements; maintains maximum standards of sanitation (ServSafe) and safety to ensure the highest standards for food and beverage service
- As a senior culinary employee, input is expected on menu direction, customer needs, operational performance, and new programs/services
- Responsible for maintaining CDS standards and managing staff to uphold those standards
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of culinary experience
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Demonstrated team building ability
- Possess a ServSafe Certification or the ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment
- Full knowledge of sanitation standards, food borne diseases, and food-borne illness and safety standards
- Must have a California Food Handlers card or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment
- Ability to provide on-the-job training in food preparation to lower-level employees
- Physical ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. of food products, kitchen equipment, and dining furniture on a regular basis
- Minimum 5 years in high volume restaurant or similar setting i.e. catering, banquets, etc.
- Minimum 3 years on the job management experience
- Experience cooking various cuisines including: American, Latin, Italian, Asian, Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten Free, etc.
- Has or will obtain ACF Chef de Cuisine certification
- Working knowledge of menu writing, ordering, labor and cost controls