Marketing Research Specialist in Office of Licensing and Venture
Develop and support marketing efforts related to individual technologies and portfolios in the life-sciences, physical sciences and digital health areas including but not limited to therapeutics and devices. Work closely with Executive Director, Licensing Staff, Marketing & Communications Director and other Office of Licensing & Ventures (OLV) team members. This position has several specific objectives, including: identifying market context and prospective industry adopters for individual research-based scientific Duke technologies; developing target contact lists and databases; creating and executing targeted marketing campaigns; producing a monthly technology blog and video; proactively creating and marketing “technology portfolios”; developing individual technology summaries, marketing materials, mailings, and online content.
OLV is responsible for patents, technology licenses and new venture development for Duke University. Through direct, daily interaction with faculty, small and large businesses, and venture investors, we build strong relationships and enter into agreements to translate academic discoveries into commercial products that benefit society, impact public health, and improve the quality of life.
- Develop and execute consistent process for non-confidential marketing summaries of technical Duke discoveries or inventions.
- Work closely with OLV licensing staff to understand the market applicable to specific technologies in the life sciences, the physical sciences and the digital space.
- Develop and execute targeted marketing plans for designated scientific inventions.
- Leverage social media to connect focused audiences with technologies.
- Monitor and report on analytics.
- Develop a database and library of key publications in each technology domain, and leverage these publications to market inventions.
- Develop and execute communications plans to publicize inventions.
- Design, implement, and track marketing campaigns for individual technologies.
- Work with licensing staff to clarify the comparative advantages and value propositions of individual technologies.
- Track and assess individual marketing campaigns to increase effectiveness.
- Create and manage database of business contacts and marketing correspondence flowing through OLV.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Requisition Number: 401513415
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 2175 MARKETING RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Family Level: 11
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires two years related experience in advertising, marketing, media, promotions, graphic arts or public relations. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Preference given to those with scientific training and associated skill set acquired through educational degrees or experience.
- Excellent written skills with the ability to understand and condense complex technical and scientific jargon into effective marketing language.
- Strong collegial interpersonal skills exercising diplomacy with an ability to communicate effectively in person and through other communication mediums.
- Ability to work independently and/or within various organizational teams.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties.
- Collaborative problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible.
- Experience with scientific concepts and research, and technology-oriented products and services.
- Experience in technology product marketing.
- Understanding of the university technology transfer process.
- Experience with social medial tools such as Facebook, Twitter, blogs and related media, preferably for use in strategic marketing.
Auto req: ID106477BR