Administer, coordinate, and manage the technical activities, development, and oversight of the Department Chair’s research program focused on the genetic epidemiology of inherited forms of prostate cancer. Acts as an advisor to internal and external investigators. Frequently interacts with other labs and coordinates wider program activities with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and reporting requirements.
- Oversee and execute technical activities and infrastructure as they relate to all aspects of the Department Chair’s prostate cancer genetics research program.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the goals and methodologies of the research program to effectively work with the program director and other collaborators in achieving programmatic goals. This includes developing laboratory policies and procedures and coordinating with research staff on issues that impact laboratory services.
- Coordinate the collection, analysis, interpretation, and documentation of data generated by the participating laboratories within the Project. This includes involvement in the experimental and bioinformatic analysis aspects of genome wide association studies, linkage analysis, next generation sequencing, and germ line / tumor studies. Compile and maintain records, reports, and documentation of program activities for use in program evaluation.
- Liaise with investigators, internal and external collaborators, research personnel and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities. Advise on technical procedures, techniques and equipment, and maintain conformance with specific operational standards. Ensure project deadlines and objectives are met.
- Lead interdisciplinary team of internal and external collaborators to formulate and implement both the short and long-range goals for the operation. Interface with core facilities to execute research aims and meet project deadline. Project future needs and formulate operational strategies consistent with projections.
- Evaluate and recommend new techniques and projects in line with the overall program objectives.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of a project(s) with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods and reporting requirements. Discern and advise Department Chair on the technical and budgetary issues as needed.
- Plan annual budgets for all sponsored projects and discretionary activities including, but not limited to, personnel effort distributions, purchasing, and monthly accounting reviews.
- Provide guidance as requested regarding the hiring, training, promotions, and disciplinary issues for technical personnel. Ensure staff competency through mentoring, feedback, and ongoing performance evaluation. Plan and schedule work performed by laboratory personnel to ensure proper distribution of assignments.
- Plan and conduct meetings with laboratory personnel to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies and to keep employees abreast of current changes and standards.
- Coordinate the functions and operations of the laboratories with each other and with other institutional Departments.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Requisition Number: 401513788
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 3770 RESEARCH PROJECT MGR, SOM
Job Family Level: 68
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelors or Masters degree in the biological or health sciences.
Minimum of four years of experience working in research laboratories. Must have a minimum of two years of experience performing work specific to the position.
Experience in bioinformatics analyses. PhD in relevant field of study.
Auto req: ID106491BR