Medical Laboratory Scientist
This is a part-time 3rd shift alternate weekend position in the Transfusion Lab located at Duke Regional Hospital. The hours are Friday 23:00 to Saturday 7:30a and Saturday 23:00 to Sunday 7:30a. There is also a potential for this position to be an every weekend 3rd shift position.”
General Description of the Job Class
The Medical Laboratory Scientist will coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease in the Transfusion Service Laboratory at Duke Regional Hospital. Duties and responsibilities for this position classification are specified by the medical director are as follows:
- Model positive behavior that encourages a work culture supportive of the Duke University Health System Behavioral Values.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communications skills necessary to facilitate positive interactions with co-workers, patients (and patient families), lab leadership and all laboratory customers.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude during stressful situations and periods of issues resolution.
- Adhere to all DUHS and departmental policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Coordinate and participate in the performance and interpretation of complex technical duties in support of medical laboratory testing; record determinations and results for review by laboratory management and physician/caregiver staff.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and reagents and communicate when supplies require ordering. Assist with putting inventory away in a timely fashion to ensure product integrity. Ensure that reagents and supplies are rotated verifying expiry dates. Discard expired materials and notify the supervisor so that replacement can be made in a timely manner.
- Maintain responsibility for patient identification, specimen labeling and collection verification, or instructing patients or other healthcare providers in collection and preservation techniques for transfusion service samples. Request recollection of specimens as appropriate.
- Ensure that patient confidentiality is maintained in compliance with HIPA at all times.
- Set up, evaluate and operate current and new equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests and assume adequate responsibility to maintain operations including preventive maintenance.
- Coordinate the preparation and quality assurance of reagents and supplies as appropriate.
- Evaluate collected laboratory data and prepare reports assessing accuracy, completeness, timeliness, progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques. Provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees as required.
- Act as a person in charge (PIC) as well as a resource person/role model, as per guidelines determined by laboratory management. Monitor quality control, quality assurance, safety and infection control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties. Clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment as per SOP and GLP.
- Monitor workflow, assessment of staffing levels and reassignment as needed. Follow up and communicate with co-workers and supervisor as appropriate to ensure work is completed.
- Utilize various laboratory and hospital information systems and software.
- Communicate in a supportive, professional, courteous and respectful manner with all, laboratory customers, patients and their families, and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explaining procedures, responding to questions, clarify orders and communicating work status.
- Demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ensure that all work practices are CAP and AABB compliant
- Ensure personal competency assessments are completed as directed within established timelines.
- Participate in the testing of CAP proficiency testing.
- Participate in lab inspections and work with inspectors as needed.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
Transfusion Service Specific Responsibilities:
- Receive patient samples for transfusion service testing. Determine specimen acceptability according to strict labeling criteria and reject unsuitable samples. Ensure BBID requirements are met.
- Process all blood product preparation requests; consult with patient care team regarding irregularities in ordering practice.
- Dispense blood products to various clinical units, including emergency release dispensation of large quantities of blood products in critical care situations such as massive transfusion protocols and obstetric hemorrhage protocols.
- Perform type & screen on patient samples.
- Select correct products and perform appropriate compatibility testing. Ensure products are requested, handled and prepared following all guidelines.
- Select appropriate and necessary tests to resolve discrepancies of serologic incompatibilities noted in routine testing (antibody identification, antigen typing and other special techniques listed in the electronic document control system).
- Select appropriate and necessary tests to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform independently in resolving lab problems.
- Investigate all serological problems and transfusion reactions.
- Perform preventative maintenance functions and quality control of all instrumentation. Troubleshoot as required, contacting Technical Service as needed. Communicate all system failures to senior and supervisory staff.
- Receive blood products into inventory and perform confirmatory testing; receive/enter critical supplies into inventory.
- Process autologous/directed forms and update information when notified of changes.
- Maintain various leadership activities as assigned in addition to required job activities.
- Recognizes and properly reports internal adverse events and/or near misses.
- Inspect blood products using established procedures.
Requisition Number 401513176
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4266 MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
- Evaluate acceptability of blood products for issue and return to inventory.
- Participates and make recommendations for quality improvements as appropriate
- Completes annual continuing education requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting, strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Working knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems is helpful.
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to perform independently in resolving lab problems.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
- Act as the PIC after attaining 1 year of high complexity laboratory experience post scientific baccalaureate degree or 2 years high complexity experience post scientific associate degree.
- Provide daily supervision and/or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
- Participate in competency assessments of co-workers as instructed.
- Participate in competency assessments of co-workers as instructed.
- Provide direct supervision of all high complexity testing.
- Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Assure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
- Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
(Medical Laboratory Scientist, Med Lab Scientist, Medical Technologist, MLS, MT, MLT, Lab Tech, Laboratory, Med Tech, Med Lab, Blood Bank, Transfusion and Lab)
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Biological Science or related field is required. Generalist certification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialty certification required for specialty labs.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Registry eligible. Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationally recognized board/agency (required within 18 months of hire). Certification will vary depending on laboratory. Advanced degree (MS or higher) accepted in lieu of certification.
Auto req ID