Research Associate I
The UM Bioinformatics Core is looking for a master of science or advanced undergraduate student to work 10-20 hours/week to help build reproducible scientific workflows to analyze patterns in genomic data. The Bioinformatics Core is a team of 10+ bioinformatic analysts who together execute approximately 200 projects each year using several data pipelines across multiple compute environments.
This position will work under the direction of the lead bioinformatics software engineer and will primarily focus on building, extending and maintaining genomic analysis workflows (RNA-seq, Exome-seq, etc.). In addition, the person will:
- Augment method research by evaluating emerging alternative tools and approaches and communicating results through data visualization and narrative analysis
- Discuss implementation approaches and document requirements
- Work with the lead software engineer to extend automated test suites
- Document code and pipelines
- Install software, libraries, and manage environment configuration
- Master of science or advanced undergraduate student who has experience working in a team and independently. Must be in good academic standing.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for reproducible science and software engineering best practices
- Aptitude in data-intensive applications of biological/biomedical/clinical science (e.g. genomic analysis)
- Experience maintaining and building scripts in two languages; familiarity with Python, R, and Bash/Linux especially relevant
- Familiarity with common NGS data formats (FASTQ, BAM, BED, GTF, VCF, etc.)
- Familiarity with some of Snakemake, tidyverse, ggplot2, pandas/matplotlib, conda, Lmod, Torque/Slurm is a plus
Monday through Friday
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.