Assistant International Student/Scholar Advisor
Assist in the advising of foreign students, faculty, staff, and employees of the Duke University enterprise in complying with governmental regulations related to the maintenance and processing of immigration and other governmental forms. This position involves working with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- 1 year of F-1 DSO (Designated School Official) experience strongly preferred.
- Assist in the management and coordination of immigration and visa related functions for foreign students, faculty, staff, and employees;ensure maintenance of proper status and process various forms including tax classification forms and extensions of time and permission to work requests; assess and process requests in order to issue documents using the U.S. Dept of Homeland Security's Student & Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS).
- Maintain liaison with departments, faculty and outside agencies sponsoring foreign students and scholars to support the appropriate immigration and/or employment status of foreign students, faculty, staff, employees, and their families.
- Serve as a resource to students, faculty, and staff members throughout Duke University, Medical Center, Health System, and affiliates regarding visa matters; answer routine visa questions, resolve related problems,and refer more complex cases to senior staff as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate records and files as well as prepare and distribute required documents and reports on foreign students, faculty, staff, and employees for various agencies (e.g., U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. State Department, etc.) and sponsoring agencies.
- Compile information and prepare various reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Will instruct and train lower level employees in methods and procedures and will check and approve work.
- Will handle more complex visa requests and provide guidance to the Assistant International Student and Scholar Advisor I.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Requisition Number: 401510793
Duke Entity: CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code: 2952 ASSIST INTL STUDENT/SCHOLAR ADVISOR II
Job Family Level: 11
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas,an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication and analytical skills normally acquired through a 4 year college education. B.A./B.S. degree.
Requires two years of experience in a setting which provides exposure to compliance and/or regulatory functions, preferably with immigration and visa related functions.
Prefer 1 year of experience living, working, or studying abroad, or similar experience with foreign nationals in the U.S.
Auto req: ID106244BR