Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our pharmaceutical chemistry team in the Caltech Chemistry Department. Chemists at Caltech have developed a proprietary platform technology for creating small molecules to treat patients with unmet medical needs. The technology allows unprecedented structural tailoring of small molecules and will enable the development of molecules with better target receptor docking and other desirable properties. This project is driven by a collaboration with a drug development start-up and a highly respected medical school’s translational oncology group. The oncology group will provide their proprietary knowledge of unknown oncologic dependencies and experimental expertise and the start-up will provide operational support and access to deep in-silico and drug development expertise. Our collaborators have also developed a broad database of intriguing biological targets. As the project progresses there may be an opportunity to become involved in the external start-up, where there are additional non-salary compensation incentives.
- Design and synthesize novel chemical compounds to optimize potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy.
- Interface with our biological and pharmacological collaborators in the testing and development of interesting compounds.
- Collaborate closely with a broad group of scientists within the Caltech community, external collaborators, and outside service providers.
- Gain knowledge and expertise in use of state-of-the-art in silico modeling tools for hypothesis driven design of novel compounds and exploration of structure-activity relationships.
- Independently drive the project through intellectual insight and efficient use of time and resources.
- Contribute effectively to patent, report, and scientific publication writing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A graduate degree (Ph.D. or M.S.).
- 2 or more years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- A record of publications and patents demonstrating proficiency in synthetic chemistry or drug discovery.
- Successful experience in the application of structure-based drug design leading to advanced leads/development candidates.
- Proven experience in gram-scale candidate delivery.
- Previous experience with target selection and screening in an oncology setting.
- A graduate degree and 5 years of medicinal chemistry research experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience with initiation and oversight of project work at external contract research organizations.
- Experience with in silico modeling tools.
- Cover letter
- List of 3 References