Program Director,Patient Experience
ROLE OVERVIEW: To provide leadership and operational oversight at Duke Health to create great patient experiences. Serves as internal patient experience consultant to staff and MDs to identify patient customer requirements, develop and execute strategies to meet and exceed identified requirements and organizational patient experience goals.
REPORTS TO: PDC/DUHS Leaders for Patient Experience
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following functions describe the essential duties of this role.
- In conjunction with Senior Leadership throughout Duke Health, coordinate and project manage overarching organizational plans designed to create exceptional experiences for our patients and family members.
- In conjunction with DUHS Performance Services, serve as expert resource patient satisfaction survey tools and processes.
- Identify internal and external patient and family exceptional experience best practices, and facilitate the spread of this knowledge.
- In conjunction with Human Resources, access and help design educational and human resources processes and systems which further support employees’ capabilities to create exceptional experiences for patients and families.
- Facilitates interdisciplinary groups who are pursuing integration of service excellence into their daily work.
- Recognizes complex service excellence issues that impact teams, units, departments, and/or the organization. Implements innovative customized approaches and solutions by integrating and balancing information from the organization, professional judgment and relevant research to determine the most appropriate alternative.
- Responds to requests from managers for service excellence/customer service assessments, interventions, activities, and group process facilitation.
- Develops and insures the implementation and success of service excellence/customer service improvement plans.
- Supports, tracks and influences the work of any Service Excellence Committees.
- Administer and coordinate operational activities of assigned program or health system unit.
- Plan, develop and implement goals and objectives of assigned program or unit in conjunction with assigned leaders; evaluate program objectives on a continual basis; implement changes to existing policies and procedures as appropriate. Determine fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitor costs and expenditures of program activities and authorize expenditures of program funds.
- Develops, implements, monitors and supports a patient experience strategy that establishes and continually improves the overall patient, family and visitor experience.
- Works directly and collaboratively with leaders to implement practices based on the strategic plan for the Patient Experience.
- Utilizes and analyzes patient satisfaction/experience feedback from a variety of sources (patient surveys/comments, focus groups, advisory councils, complaint information, direct observation, manager/staff perspectives) to track and monitor patient satisfaction as the basis for developing recommendations for key initiatives.
- Compile and maintain records, reports and documentation of program and/or unit activities to be used for program evaluation. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Maintain liaison with outside educational and professional organizations and agencies to explore implementation of specialized programs at Duke and to encourage participation in specified programs.
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness, investigate trends, and recommend and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness.
- Represent assigned programs; serve on various committees and attend professional meetings as appropriate.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Communicates progress on service excellence initiatives to key team members.
- Collaborates with external experts to implement evidence based service excellence tools and processes throughout the organization.
- Work with DHTS to develop and optimize technology to improve the patient experience, e.g. Duke MyChart functions; facilitate the patient reported outcome documents/questionnaires.
- Understands how applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures impact specific job responsibilities and functions and ensures compliance with regulatory standards.
- Maintains ethical standards of professional conduct with respect to activity design, data gathering, analysis, presentation, confidentiality and daily activities. Demonstrates professional growth by developing personal educational objectives and participating in opportunities to assure continued growth in the area of change management, service excellence and proves improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Examples may include but are not limited to staff education, committee/task force participation, etc.
Requisition Number: 401511831
Duke Entity: HEALTH SYSTEM
Job Code: 5327 ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR
Job Family Level: I1
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree in healthcare, business or related field required.
Work requires five years of progressive administrative experience, generally in a hospital, health care or similar service industry to become proficient in managing quality of care and financial performance over assigned hospital service line. A Master's degree in Hospital Administration, Business Administration or a related field may be substituted for experience on a 1:1 basis.
- Knowledge-Knowledge of Press Ganey measurements: HCAHPS and evidence based leadership assessments. Effective verbal and written communication skills and analysis and creative problem resolution skills required. Demonstration skills in organizational development and training highly desirable. Must have strong conceptual skills as well as the ability to help facilitate Duke Health's vision for the patient experience. Must have seasoned communication skills. Effective writing and public communication skills. The ability to function effectively as a strategic business partner to the executive team is required. Must function effectively as both a team member and leader. Must be a quick study and be action and outcomes orientated.
- Physical Requirements-Ability to work extended hours; routine office environment; walking associated with "rounds".
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and solve problems in complex environments.
- Promotes a positive work environment by demonstrating teamwork and creating a highly personal health experience for our employees and patients.
Auto req: ID106289BR