Executive Director, Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) is seeking an outstanding leader with experience, vision, and capabilities to serve as its executive director.
a2ru is a national organization of research universities dedicated to promoting and studying innovative practices that enable its members to better integrate artists, arts practice, and arts integration research within their institutions and throughout higher education. To date, 45 leading research universities are members of the Alliance, and many more participate in its conference and programs. The Alliance seeks an experienced, visionary leader who can advance its growth and provide leadership in fostering interdisciplinary collaboration to improve the culture of higher education; and infuse a growing organization on the vanguard of research, teaching, and practice with an entrepreneurial, collaborative spirit. a2ru is hosted and housed at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Serve as spokesperson and visionary leader for arts integration on a national platform
- Oversee facilitation of communications among member institutions to envision and achieve a2ru’s goals
- Oversee strategic planning for a2ru
- Create and maintain appropriate dissemination of a2ru’s progress, products, and vision
- Demonstrate, on an ongoing basis, the value of a2ru partnership
- Supervise a2ru staff
- Manage budget and resources
- Secure funding from internal and external sources, including fundraising strategy, applying for grants, stewardship, and reporting
- Reports to U-M provost and the executive committee representing Alliance partners
- Engage in strategic travel, including speaking engagements on behalf of the network and a2ru mission as well as recruiting
- Experience in interdisciplinary research and practice
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills
- Communication skills and experience suitable for working with faculty and senior leadership in a university setting
- Able to foster exchange between universities, with the ability to receive multiple viewpoints and distill/articulate them into a coherent view
- Experience working across sectors, including funders and media; government, nonprofit, corporate, and private partners
- Thorough conversance with issues facing the arts and interdisciplinarity in higher education
- Intellectual versatility across disciplines and capacity to guide mixed methodological research
- Experience managing a professional staff
- Demonstrated experience and success in development (including individual, foundation and corporate giving)
- An advanced degree is required
- Experience with and in the arts (performance, administration/marketing, academic, etc.) preferred
- Prior experience with national programming preferred
- Additional Information
- A higher salary may be considered for an extraordinarily qualified candidate.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.