Associate Professor/Lecturer in Mathematical Sciences
DEPARTMENT: Department of Mathematical Sciences
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Actuarial Science, Financial Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor/Lecturer
LOCATION: (SUZHOU CAMPUS)
SALARY: The salary range for the Lecturer positions (equivalent to Assistant Professor in the US system) is 21,611 – 33,222 RMB/month, and for Associate Professor is 33,726 – 39,867 RMB/month.
POSITION OPEN DATE: 30 October 2018
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30 November 2018
JOB ID: 995510
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution, the first and currently the only university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU, http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/) invites solid applications for Lecturers, Associate Professors to begin February 18, 2019.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for people in the following areas to strengthen the research of our department:
- Geometry and topology, analysis, number theory, Lie theory, algebraic geometry and dynamical system.
- Statistics learning, Bayesian methods, probability, time series, biostatistics, financial data analytics, computational finance (PDE/SPDE solutions for Finance), quantitative finance, and one senior person in actuarial science.
- Differential Equations, scientific computing, numerical analysis, uncertainty quantification, machine learning and optimization.
- Applied physics and theoretical physics.
Outstanding applicants in other areas will also be considered.
Candidates who are scientist turned mathematicians/statisticians/physicists are strongly encouraged to apply. A PhD degree in actuarial science, financial mathematics, mathematics, physics, statistics, or a closely aligned discipline is required, and preference will be given to candidates who have shown outstanding promise (for junior level) or excellent accomplishments (for senior levels) in research and teaching. It is important to note that a successful candidate must be able to teach in English as XJTLU’s instructional language is English.
The department is expanding its research capability. For this purpose, small groups of candidates with an established and focused research profile are particularly encouraged to apply (your research directions will become some of the research directions of the department). Teaching loads are two courses per academic year.
- A PhD degree in actuarial science, financial mathematics, mathematics, physics, statistics, or a closely aligned discipline
- For non-Chinese candidates, two-year full-time teaching experience in higher education is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
- Outstanding promise (for junior level) or excellent accomplishments (for senior levels) in research and teaching.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 5 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying the level, category applied for and your justification
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- A Research Plan
- Teaching Philosophy
- Names, Phone numbers and Emails of 3 reference providers with at least one provider who can comment on your teaching if you are applying for a Lecturer position.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.