Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in Communications and Media
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 15 January 2019
Commencement Date: January 15th 2019, or August 1st 2019
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities T
he University of Central Asia seeks to fill several full-time positions in the Communications and Media programme with an emphasis on Media production at UCA’s campus in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic. In your role as faculty member, you will be contributing to the development and implementation of a new Communications and Media curriculum at the Bachelor Level that has been designed in partnership with the University of Technology Sydney in Australia.
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material. You will help students appreciate and develop an interdisciplinary approach to the fields of computer science, information technology, and entrepreneurship.
Lastly, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to continue their research and develop new research for UCA in Central Asia, actively creating pathways to engage students in the research programme. Applicants should thus be research active and have a commitment to establishing foundational knowledge for students new to the field.
UCA's Communications and Media programme offers a unique integrated approach that includes communications theory, media studies, journalism and applied media with a storytelling approach. The programme mirrors current trends in the study and practice of media communications. Students will be equipped with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills desired by media industries, including journalism, public relations, multi-media design, media production.
They will acquire skills in writing and critical thinking, as well as knowledge in media law and ethics and the political, economic, cultural and social character of Central Asian societies.
- Lecturer: Master’s in Communications and Media or Central Asia Studies. For media production focused courses, a Master's degree or equivalent industry based experience would be considered.
- Assistant Professor and Above: PhD in Communications and Media or Central Asia Studies
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students. At least 2 years of experience teaching at the undergraduate level would be expected.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Technical skills related to media production (TV/Radio/Digital/Print) would be a requirement for the media production faculty positions.
- A proven ability to publish research in high quality journals
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Aware of current and future industry trends; strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring.
- Demonstrated interest developing critical ways to conceptualise and research empirically the relationships between media and communications technologies and the social world with particular reference to development and social change communication challenges faced by individuals and organisations in the region.
Salary and Package Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate.
How to Apply
Please send us an up-to-date resume including list of published work and teaching evaluations (if applicable). List of at least three references who may to attest to your teaching/research experience is also required. Kindly email resume with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Please use: “Communications and Media Faculty Member” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit https://www.ucentralasia.org/Admissions/UndergraduateProgramme
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.