Reporting to the Assistant Director of Operations for YSM Communications, the Production Coordinator will use previous experience and expert knowledge to coordinate, hire freelancers, and art direct all photography events for the YSM Office of communications, independently interacting with all levels of faculty and staff on a daily basis. Additionally, this role is responsible for managing all events on the YSM main calendar, and unifying all publishing out of the YSM Office of Communications into one calendar, keeping publishing units apprised of upcoming deadlines and coverage needs.
This role will use assignment and digital asset management systems, and a highly developed sense of organization and skill with people to help execute the day-to-day management and output of a unit producing high quality web content for daily distribution over YSM websites, multiple social media channels, print publications, newsletters and syndication partners.
The Production Coordinator will have expertise in one of the following: event coverage or management, hiring freelancers or photography, or production coordination.
- Responsible for accomplishing all photography projects, including feature photography, event photography, and business headshots by hiring and supervising vendors and staff.
- Hire appropriate freelancers and vendors to photograph on campus. Independently responsible for adhering to all policies and procedures for HIPPA, FERPA, OSHA, and Yale University photography policies.
- Schedule, attend, supervise, and art direct all shoots
- Independently handle any difficulties or issues that happen during shoots, making sure to accomplish content needs while smoothing over difficulties and establishing/building positive relationships with all faculty and staff for future interactions.
- Contact and secure permission to shoot on location from proper owners/authorities, accurately describing shoot needs and on-site personnel
- Coordinate creative direction between the design team, the content team, and photographers
- Approve, edit, and solicit events daily for the Yale School of Medicine main calendar, interacting with faculty and staff submitting events for publication to determine the best coverage for the event and edit any details of the event before publication. Make judgment calls about appropriate editorial coverage and budget coverage for YSM events
- Edit events for publication in the YSM Weekly Digest
- Responsible for high-level Office of Communications publishing calendar, making sure there is photography and editorial coverage for all major YSM events and news, and as well as coverage requested for YSM publications.
- Maintain and work toward annual approved photography budget
- Oversees and coordinates administrative, program, and office activities. Establishes, selects, implements, and coordinates office procedures and systems. Serves as principal source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, programs, and office activities.
- Oversees, instructs, and coordinates activities of support staff. Oversees the preparation of materials for grants, contracts and budgets. Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements.
- Provides editorial support for a journal/publication. Proofreads and edits material for grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages. Communicates with authors, printers, and others concerned with published work.
- Determines administrative, facility, and equipment needs for symposia, lectures, seminars, and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items. Determines sources of data. Compiles, synthesizes and manipulates data. Summarizes findings and writes reports or portions of reports.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses nature of business. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance. Screens and responds to mail.
- Formats, keyboard, proofread, and edits correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material. Reviews outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures. Composes substantive correspondence and written material.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Takes minutes or dictation. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Superior computer and technology skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to work collaboratively, in an open, friendly manner. Ability to be organized, detail-oriented and resourceful.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Stellar interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Strong problem-solving skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability in juggling daily deadlines with long-term projects. Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments. Ability to meet goals and deadlines.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's degree and 3 yrs of production experience in a newsroom, communications office, academic, or agency environment. Proficiency with MAC. Exp. updating websites, SEO, keywording and tagging, more than one content management system (CMS). Exp. with budgeting and reports preparation. Exp. in academic, healthcare or communications environment. Exp. managing a calendar for others.
Sustained standing; frequent bending. Move, lift and carry supplies, equipment, and materials weighing up to 25 pounds without assistance from floor to waist height and 20 pounds to shoulder height. Carry supplies up or down stairs if necessary.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus