Senior Administrative Assistant
Provides high-level administrative support within Yale West Campus to the Director of the Systems Biology Institute and to multiple faculty members engaged in academic, research and administrative activities.
- Coordinates faculty recruitment and on-boarding. Handles visas for faculty and research appointments.
- Plans and oversees detailed symposium and seminar series, events and visits with multiple department interfaces.
- Coordinates and takes notes at faculty meetings.
- Serves as the point of contact for units and provides communication and support for day-to-day activities to the faculty and lab groups.
- Accurately fields initial inquiries on various institute matters and provides timely follow-up to questions from faculty, students and staff.
- Orders and maintains equipment and supplies within the labs in conjunction with the lab manager.
- Plans travel, including international, and creates and processes detailed expense reports.
- Provides backup support to other administrative office staff as necessary.
This position requires travel to central campus to attend meetings and escort visitors.
- Oversees and coordinates administrative, program, and office activities. Establishes, selects, implements, and coordinates office procedures and systems. Serves as principal source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, programs, and office activities.
- Oversees, instructs, and coordinates activities of support staff. Oversees the preparation of materials for grants, contracts and budgets. Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements.
- Provides editorial support for a journal/publication. Proofreads and edits material for grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages. Communicates with authors, printers, and others concerned with published work.
- Determines administrative, facility, and equipment needs for symposia, lectures, seminars, and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items. Determines sources of data. Compiles, synthesizes and manipulates data. Summarizes findings and writes reports or portions of reports.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses nature of business. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance. Screens and responds to mail.
- Formats, keyboard, proofread, and edits correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material. Reviews outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures. Composes substantive correspondence and written material.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Takes minutes or dictation. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong computer skills, including intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and basic knowledge of PowerPoint. Proven experience with Outlook calendaring.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage competing priorities. Demonstrated experience in an administrative support role.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Well developed problem solving skills.Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills. Excellent attention to detail and record of attendance and punctuality.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to coordinate faculty recruitment and to plan and oversee large events. Ability to process expense reports and reimbursements. Ability to travel between West Campus and Central Campus.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Yale software (Workday Financials and HCM, FWR, Egencia, e-Ship Global). Experience with processing expense reports and reimbursements.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus