Social Science Research Professional
Stanford University is seeking a Social Science Research Professional 1 to perform work to support research or develop public programs and policies, applying basic knowledge and understanding of scientific theory.
- Plan and perform research tasks of limited complexity requiring initiative and judgment in applying basic knowledge and understanding of scientific theory when precedents do not provide specific guidance; general instruction is provided by the supervisor.
- Extract data and structured information from published literature and other sources.
- Administer questionnaires and rating scales requiring judgment in applying non-routine scoring procedures.
- Conduct literature searches, and write literature summaries, requiring preliminary judgments after conceptual approach is outlined by the supervisor. Build and organize data as requested by principal investigator or faculty; use common statistical programs, requiring the application of job control language in generating and organizing data.
- Adapt new, nonstandard methods outlined by supervisor (principal investigator or faculty).
- Assist in designing and evaluating phases of research projects, seeking guidance where necessary, and auditing the accuracy and validity of data entered in databases.
- Present research finding to internal audiences, including peers, co-workers, and managers.
- Help orient and train new staff or students as needed.
- Assist with development and design of outreach materials and tools for recruitment, educational, or awareness programs with guidance from supervisor.
- Manage and analyze data.
- Write manuscripts for publication.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Graduate degree in science or related field; knowledge of substance use and abuse prevention and related risks; experience with data analyses and manuscript preparation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor of Arts degree in an applicable social science related field, or combination of education and relevant experience in an applicable social science.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific theory and methods.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with human study participants.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weight up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, writing by hand, and soft/file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl, rarely reach/work above shoulders, operate foot and/or hand controls.
- Add or subtract physical requirements based on the requirements of your specific job. (remove this statement for posting)
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
• May be required to work non-standard, extended or weekend hours in support of research work.•