Clinical Practice Manager, Dermatology
Under the direction of the Lead Administrator and jointly reporting to the site Medical Directors, the Clinical Practice Manager provides leadership with respect to program/service development and standard workflows of the clinical practices for Yale Dermatology located in multiple geographic sites. Lead, oversee, and coordinate onsite Practice Managers/Supervisors. Responsible for practice metrics analysis and reporting, meaningful use monitoring and adherence, New Patient Referral management, and patient experience for all Department of Dermatology run clinical practice locations. The Clinical Practice Manager develops, implements, and monitors programs, policies and procedures to ensure the highest quality of patient care and satisfaction through operational efficiency, best utilization and productivity of staff. In addition, this position will collaborate with Yale Medicine to implement, and monitor policies and procedures to optimize physician reimbursement and ensure billing compliance within the department. The role will provide excellent support of YM patient access initiatives. This position communicates and fosters collaboration among the department and Yale Medicine on all aspects of the billing, education and reimbursement processes. Experience in a large physician practice preferred. Previous management/supervisory experience in a healthcare/faculty practice setting preferred. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of operational procedures and makes immediate changes to facilitate the highest level of patient service and efficiency. Identifies issues that impede delivery of quality patient care; develops and implements short-term improvements and plans for long term process improvements. Partners with members of the leadership team to develop long term objectives for the practice related to productivity, compliance, communication and patient satisfaction.
- Monitors and analyzes monthly productivity statistics and key financial indicators to assess accuracy and effectiveness of processes, and identifies trends or items requiring immediate corrective action. Reviews physician productivity and billing data regularly. Provides comprehensive detailed summary of findings to faculty including approaches to enhance efficiencies and overall reimbursement of clinical services.
- Monitors and enforces compliance with YMG Policies and Procedures, Practice Standards, HIPAA regulations and Billing Compliance standards throughout all operational activities. Develops budgetary forecasts and profit and loss statements for the practice. Oversees the monitoring and enforcing of customer service standards for staff members addressing deficiencies. Resolves complicated billing, collections, and patient service issues by interfacing with YNHH, YMG management, faculty and other clinical Practice managers. Interfaces with YNHH and YMG Group-Patient Financial Services regarding clinician credentialing.
- Oversees clinical practice operations of section by ensuring appropriate training, ongoing education, and monitoring of day-to-day activities. Works with the clinical leadership and other key departmental clinical/administrative staff on matters relating to practice performance and clinical issues in accordance with budget, goals and benchmarks. Provides leadership and direction to clinical staff where appropriate.
- Researches and develops proposals for internal and external program initiatives and new clinical opportunities and advises leadership on the financial impact of new projects or initiatives. Prepares special analyses, reports and complex financial modeling to support the decision-making process. Negotiates contracts for consulting, physician leasing, affiliated hospital agreements and all other clinical agreements and managed care contracts. Analyzes proposals and determines cost, benefits, risks and liabilities.
- Manages implementation of electronic medical record within the Practice. Streamlines communications between EMR team, physicians, and clinical staff. Establishes, implements and monitors medical record protocols and procedures. Ensures office compliance with Federal/state/local regulations.
- Develops multifaceted communications via print, web and video to optimize and support the section’s mission to provide compassionate, state-of-the-art medical care for enhanced patient outcomes. Monitors patient satisfaction through surveys and other feedback plan responses to improve performance based on section specific goals. Recognizing the key drivers for marketing and communicating the mission and goals of the practice, develops and organizes initiatives for enhancing physician relations, customer satisfaction, community involvement, advertising and public relations. Ensures that all media is in compliance with guidelines established by University & YMG and that faculty/staff are aware of and abide by policies.
- Establishes and monitors clinician work schedule assignments for best utilization of space and maximum productivity. Represents department with regard to facility concerns, maintenance and security.
- Keeps current in practice management and process improvement concepts through involvement in professional organizations, seminar attendance, user group meetings and individual research.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in relevant technical field and six years of related technical experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated practice management background w/proven expertise. Excellent communication skills, both verbally & in writing. Ability to interact positively & effectively within all levels of the organization. Capable of operating autonomously w/minimal direction. Strong leadership capabilities w/ability to work in fast-paced environment.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Solid expertise with EHRs/EMRs, preferably Epic and Reporting/Data Management. Strong computer skills including proficiency with all Microsoft products. Advance knowledge of clinical practice billing and collection rules and regulations. Thorough working knowledge of patient scheduling for either a clinic/or operation.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to make reasonable & difficult decisions while under pressure that will stand up to retrospective scrutiny, combined w/ability to stay cool under pressure. Ability to identify areas of concern re: work flow and able to ensure it is organized & staffed for quality efficient completion.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to think strategically & see the bigger picture to establish objectives relevant to Derm Dept’s clinical practice mission. Ability to assist in long-range planning for department needs. Ability to be a decisive, hands-on team player. Results & detail-oriented w/proven organizational skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven ability to work within an organizational hierarchy, particularly in an academic medical ctr. Ability to assess & resolve/ escalate problems arising. High level of ethics/integrity & sensitivity for confidentiality. Flexible w/ability to manage multi initiatives in response to continuously & rapidly changing priorities.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and minimum 6+ year experience as Practice Manager or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) through The American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE), Physician Practice Manager Certificate (PPMC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Biller (CPB).
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus