Information Technology Analyst/Kits Product Manager
Kits Product Manager
Kits Product Manager
Learning technologies across higher education have traditionally focused on meeting faculty's teaching needs through the Learning Management System (LMS). At Duke University, we see relying on any single solution, including the LMS, as a short-sighted technology strategy as a monolithic system cannot provide the best learning experience for all aspects of all learning communities. The ideal technology and academic culture is one of technological and pedagogical plurality; giving faculty, staff, and students scalable, excellent, and integrated choice, not a single, forced enterprise option. The best learning happens when appropriate apps are used in conjunction with best pedagogies.
The Kits Project is a strategic partnership between Duke’s Learning Innovation and Office of Information Technology to provide a next generation digital learning environment (NGDLE) for the Duke community. Learning Innovation is seeking a Kits Product Manager who can help realize the vision of a better digital ecosystem for learning , someone with: the ability to synthesize and analyze the ideas and needs of many stakeholders; the technical breadth to collaborate with developers and engineers as well as faculty and students; a knack for prioritizing complex pieces of a development or deployment project; and a passion for seeing projects iterate and evolve from ‘minimally viable’ to ‘most valuable.’
- Product management
- Consults with and advocates for the faculty, students, and staff who use the Kits system, understanding their needs and defining system and project scope across all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Gathers and analyzes user feedback and system performance; translates into detailed program specifications and recommendations; deploys system releases and optimizations with the project team.
- Shapes system goals in ways that make the most of software features, third party technology, cloud services, and offerings from external providers as well as in-house programming and system configuration tasks.
- Coordinates technical tasks, testing, and feedback between users, internal project teams, and outside vendors.
- Provides technical support for services and projects in Duke’s learning technology ecosystem. Participates in support processes including application troubleshooting and design, documenting, and testing. Helps design, develop or improve support processes as needed.
- Acts as liaison between software vendors, developers, and users.
- Recognizes and overcomes technical challenges associated with system and processes; suggests improvement opportunities to the project team.
- Collaborates on development of reports regarding system usage statistics and trends.
- Collaborates with Learning Innovation’s communications and marketing staff, as well as other Duke communications entities, to plan outreach, marketing and communications efforts for the product
- Develops web-based information resources, which enable faculty and students to use learning technology successfully. This includes, but is not limited to, the Learning Innovation website, blog, and technology support websites.
LTS Shared Duties
- Identifies, plans, supports, and evaluates experiments in collaboration with Learning Innovation consultants, the Duke Digital Initiative, Duke faculty, and others helping to support and advance Duke’s learning technology ecosystem and new teaching and learning approaches.
- Reviews professional literature; networks with learning technology professionals inside and outside the University; and participates in activities to stay informed about trends in learning technology.
- Undertakes special projects and performs other duties as assigned or appropriate in support of Learning Innovation activities and programs.
- May supervise interns.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: BA or BS degree computer science, business administration, marketing, communication or related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in product management, technology services, business systems analysis, project management, quality assurance, or other technical setting.
- Understanding of software development approaches and life cycle
- Demonstrated ability to work in and lead cross-functional teams of people with diverse experiences, backgrounds, and skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to interact with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to provide direct, quality technical support to end users.
- Advanced knowledge of learning management systems or academic technology support experience.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of analytics tools and packages (ex: Google Analytics, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience with UX (user experience) design
- Demonstrated experience with working with ecosystems of integrated applications whose components include API/LTI middleware, enterprise IT services, locally developed components, and vendor systems
- Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is present.
- Normal office environment
- Occasional weekend/evening shifts required
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://hr.duke.edu/careers/apply - refer to Requisition # 401511636. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Requisition Number: 401511636
Duke Entity: UNIVERSITY
Job Code: 2423 ANALYST, IT
Job Family Level: C
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req. ID106295BR