Data Technician in Science & Society
The Duke Initiative for Science and Society research team on Genomics, Biometrics, and Identity is seeking a full-time Data Tech to assist in research and project implementation. The team is researching ethics and policy for the use of genetic information in migration, human trafficking, and missing persons. This position will work under the general supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) on an NIH sponsored research project on Genomics, Biometrics, & Identity.
- The successful candidate will:
- Maintain records for the project, assisting in team coordination and providing assistance to undergraduates with work study projects
- Assist with IRB protocol development of social science research, including interviews and community forums.
- Participate in meetings with the PI and assist coordination of undergraduate work study projects.
- They will be expected to exhibit individual initiative, work independently; be technically proficient and accurate with general software (ppt, xls) and social media platforms; effectively communicate in both written reports and presentations; and possess attention to detail.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field with 1-2 years of social science research experience. Must be willing to work flexible hours as necessary.
Strongly prefer candidates who exhibit individual initiative, work independently; are technically proficient and accurate with general software (ppt, xls) and social media platforms; effectively communicate in both written reports and presentations; and possess attention to detail.
- Responsible, punctual, professional, and mature
- Eager to learn, communicative, and responsive to feedback
- 1-2 years social science research experience, preferably interviews
- Familiarity with social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook)
- Familiarity with PubMed, Google alerts
- Proficient with MS Excel, MS Powerpoint
- Flexible hours
- Have an interest in human rights and science
- Familiarity with genetics and DNA forensics
Requisition Number: 401512657
Duke Entity: UNIVERSITY
Job Code: 563 260 DATA TECH
Job Family Level: 07
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in a field related to the specific position.
None required above education/training requirements.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID106377BR