Medical Assistant, Certified
Duke University Health System- Duke Clinics located at Duke University Hospital Clinic in Durham seek to hire a full-time Certified Medical Assistants and Registered Medical Assistants who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
Our team is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time. Duke Clinics seek CMA’s and RMA’s to perform routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System medical practice to assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure office runs smoothly.
AAMA or AMT certification is required for all medical assistant positions.
Currently there are openings in the following area:
Work Hours & Shifts:
Administrative duties may include but not limited to the following:
- Answer telephones
- Greet patients
- Update and file patient medical records
- Fill out insurance forms
- Handle correspondence
- Schedule appointments
- Arrange for hospital admissions
- Arrange for laboratory services
- Handle billing and bookkeeping.
- Perform other administrative duties as directed.
- Clinic Duties may include but not limited to the following:
- Taking medical histories and recording vital signs
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations and procedures
- Assisting the physician during the examination and procedures
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- Perform basic laboratory tests on the premises Dispose of contaminated supplies
- Sterilize medical instruments. Promote patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and document in patient record.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician
- Authorize drug refills as directed
- Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy.
- Draw blood
- Prepare patients for x-rays, tests and procedures. Take electrocardiograms Remove sutures/ staples. Change sterile and non-sterile dressings.
- Perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the physician.
Requisition Number 401511579
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4261 MEDICAL ASSISTANT, CERTIFIED
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Level I -- Graduation from accredited Medical Assistant program strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.Level II -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs(CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.Level III -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs(CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation required.
Level I -- No experience required.Level II -- Must have at least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.Level III -- Must have at least 3 years of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.Note: 1 year of experience will be provided for an Associate degree inMedical Assisting.General Ladder Statement: In addition to the education and experience noted, applicants must meet all requirements set forth in the Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA/RMA) Ladder Program document for Levels II and III.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Level I -- Certification by AAMA or AMT required. BLS required.Level II -- Certification by AAMA or AMT required. Certification by AAMA preferred. BLS required.Level III -- Certification by AAMA or AMT required. Certification byAAMA preferred. BLS required.
Auto req ID