Computer Science Department Computer Facilities Manager
IT Technical Manager
Job Code: 4807
Job Grade: M
FTE: 100%, Exempt
School of Engineering, Computer Science Department
The School of Engineering, Computer Science Department
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
School of Engineering website: https://engineering.stanford.edu/
Founded in 1965, the Stanford Computer Science (CS) Department continues to lead the world in computer science research and education. Throughout the past four decades, the Stanford CS Department has influenced society at levels that remain without parallel among academic institutions. Its spin-offs are among the most successful corporate ventures in the world, and many of the leaders in the academic and corporate research world are graduates of the Stanford CS Department.
The IT Technical Manager will manage and direct a team of 9 individuals. The team is composed of system administrators, software developers and computing support analysts who together support the computing research and administrative needs of the CS department including its 58 faculty and their graduate students, post-docs and research staff. In addition to management skills, this position requires a strong and broad technical background in all aspects of research and administrative computing, including at a minimum systems administration, software development and maintenance, computer security, and network, cluster and data center management. Computer Science website: http://www-cs.stanford.edu/
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead and manage technical experts responsible for the development, design, and systems integration for client engagement, from definition phase through implementation; provide technical direction for one or more technical areas.
- Create and execute business and technical plans, and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policy and federal and state regulations.
- Evaluate and assess metrics and program effectiveness; review trends and monitor proactively.
- Establish and manage financials for the CSDCF (Computer Science Department Computer Facilities) service center and CSDCF CS department budget.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and programs to ensure success, development of employees, and appropriate use of staff resources.
- Lead, hire, coach, and evaluate performance of staff.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of increasingly technical work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Detailed understanding of relevant business and technical knowledge.
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and make decisions that meet university objectives, in a collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, is one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Supporting that mission is a staff of 17,000 who are rooted in a culture of excellence and value innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, rides haring incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in a senior-level administrative position in academic, corporate, or other environments. Please provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.