Administrative Assistant, Faculty Support
Under the direction of the Manager, Administrative Support, provides administrative and support services to assigned faculty members and their research groups including support for teaching and research, programs and financial transactions. Performs additional duties as assigned in support of the department's business operations.
- Serves as source of information to students, staff, faculty, and clients on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses natures of business. Provides assistance or refers to appropriate individual. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments.
- Receives and schedules client referrals. Resolves scheduling conflicts. Formats, keyboards, edits and proofreads correspondence, grants, manuscripts, reports, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material.
- Reviews outgoing material for completeness, attachments, dates, and signatures. Composes general correspondence and written material.
- Gathers, compiles and records data. Creates reports and summarizes findings. Assembles and compiles material for grant, contract, and budget preparation.
- Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements. Coordinates travel arrangements. Establishes and maintains filing systems. Sorts screens and distributes mail. Completes forms.
- Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Photocopies material. Oversees and instructs support staff. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Four years of related work experience, two of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or two years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong attention to detail. A writing sample will be requested at the time of interview.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated administrative support skills. Ability to schedule and coordinate travel arrangements in an administrative support capacity. Ability to prepare complex visitation schedules reaching across the University at all levels.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to take initiative, to prioritize work and to meet deadlines for several faculty members and their research groups.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent computer skills and well developed knowledge of Windows and Microsoft products. Intermediate to Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Ability and willingness to learn new technology and processes.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven ability to function effectively independently as well as part of a team. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to exercise good judgment and to take initiative. Ability to handle multiple priorities, interruptions and deadlines.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience supporting faculty and/or research staff in an administrative support capacity. Working knowledge of Yale's policies and procedures, Workday Financials, SciQuest, eShipGlobal and Egencia. Proficiency with Publisher and or Illustrator, including experience in poster/flyer creation. Proficiency with Drupal. Proficiency with Google (including Google Drive/Docs/Sheets/Calendar, etc.).
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus