Staff Assistant in Population Health Sciences
Perform responsible administrative and secretarial duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of the Vice Chair for Education, RPL, D&I Core and other DPHS Faculty. This position reports directly to the Senior Business Manager with dotted lines for day to day activities for those they support. Applies knowledge and skills to resolve complex non-routine administrative problems independently or with others. The DPHS is a fast-paced academic environment requiring attention to detail, excellent time management, a high level of discretion, and the ability to work independently, communicate clearly and efficiently.
Faculty Support Duties
- Schedule and coordinate arrangements for seminars and conferences and establish appointments, meetings and speaking engagements for the Vice Chair of Education; attend meetings to take minutes, provide information and serve as a resource person; interview callers; answer questions concerning departmental or divisional activities and transmit instructions and/or information to and from staff members; serve as liaison with administrative personnel and external agencies concerning University policies and procedures.
- Maintain quality, consistency, and correctness for several DPHS faculty/leadership calendars and schedules; stay current on calendar platforms and systems and recommend timely upgrades
- Assist with meeting agenda preparation and have available supporting documents prior to meetings.
- Assist faculty in the preparation of presentations and publications. Arrange, schedule, coordinate, and track activities for projects, faculty facilitators, visitors and learners.
- Serve as liaison for outside constituents and Duke related contacts for faculty.
- Assistance with grant, manuscript, and book chapter submissions including formatting, bibliography, requests for letters of support, table or figure creation and/or formatting
- Formatting of any requested documents
- Organize and maintain faculty electronic and paper files - correspondence, credentialing, licensing and certification, reference materials, publications, memberships. Maintain CV for the faculty member.
- Make flight/hotel/car rental reservations for faculty when they travel.
- Use Duke WebEx system to arrange audio and video conference meetings. Register faculty for professional conferences.
- Prepare and submit faculty dues, membership, travel, and reimbursement expenses to appropriate staff assistant to clear procurement card expenses as needed.
- Compose letters and statements independently requiring interpretation and application of departmental policies, procedures, rules and regulations; determine which correspondence to respond to or which to bring to supervisors or faculty members attention based on content of communication and broad knowledge of departmental programs and activities.
- Interpret new directives, policies and regulations and inform appropriate personnel of changes; make decisions on specific operating problems and issue instructions in the name of the Faculty.
- Control and maintain assigned faculty members’ files of records, reports and correspondence required for reference and efficient operation of the department; insure maintenance of up-to-date management and procedural manuals, directives and related records.
- Provide support to the D&I core as it relates to creating, compiling and formatting manuals, SOPs, power point presentations and other related material.
- Order supplies for research and specific projects.
Provide backup support services to other staff assistants to provide Faculty Support when/where needed. Provide backup support for maintenance, housekeeping and ordering supplies as needed for vacations and time away. Keep up to date on printer function and assist faculty with printer/copier problems.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Strong calendar and organizational skills. Formatting and faculty support experience a plus. Systems use include WebEx, Buy@Duke, Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Requisition Number: 401511611
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 476 STAFF ASST
Job Family Level: 09
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires four years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID106275BR