This role is an excellent opportunity for a passionate Educational Designer with experience in higher education and who is committed to improving learning and teaching.
Asia Pacific International College (APIC) is undergoing a period of substantial curriculum renewal which includes increased investment in technology-enabled learning and teaching. As part of this, the College is preparing to launch online delivery as well as move to a more blended approach for on campus students.
The Educational Designer will play a key role in these ongoing changes and improvements, for example supporting academics to improve their curriculum and teaching, leading transformation initiatives, and by driving effective adoption of learning and teaching technologies. Support will be provided to academics through a variety of mechanisms, including professional development and training, consultation/advice, resources, content development services, quality frameworks and templates, and communities of practice.
Experience across a range of online, blended and face-to-face pedagogies is needed, along with a solid understanding of experiential and challenge-based learning. Success in this role will be determined by the incumbent’s ability to work with academics to drive and support improvements to students’ learning experiences. The ability to work autonomously and maintain a patient and caring attitude is essential, along with a high level of intercultural awareness. Occasional flexibility in working hours will be required, as the College will be offering online delivery and operates in an international context.
This role is part of the Digital Learning team, which has been recently created to lead the development of online delivery, increase digital capability across the College and introduce more technology-enabled approaches to learning and teaching. This is a small team with a broad scope, which means the incumbent will work across a diverse range of areas and initiatives, always with a focus on helping academics create transformational learning experiences for their students.
Sustainable improvements to the curriculum
In collaboration with academic staff,
- Provide advice and consultation on effective and sustainable curriculum design
- Develop templates, frameworks and guidelines for consistently high quality learning experiences for students and help embed a culture of high quality teaching practice
- Assist in curriculum reviews and unit evaluations to identify and implement evidence-based improvements to units and programs
- Ensure equivalence of learning and assessments between online and on campus modes of delivery
- Nurture innovative learning and teaching
- Assist design and development of complex interactive materials (e.g. simulations, interactive cases etc)
- Contribute to the design and development of new and revised programs and courses, including (re)accreditation submissions
Provide training programs, resources and advice and consultation to assist teachers to:
- Improve teaching practice (e.g. through engaging and motivating students, personalised and effective feedback, meaningful and reflective learning experiences, etc)
- Build confidence and capability in blended and online delivery
- Effectively integrate core and complementary learning technologies into their curriculum and teaching
- Support and nurture a community of practice for academics
- Lead and evaluate transformation initiatives, innovation trials and pilots, and contribute to scholarship of learning and teaching
- Write clear and concise reports and communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
- Provide advice and input into College governance and policy
- Represent APIC externally
- Lead project teams and working parties as appropriate
Selection criteria (necessary)
- Tertiary qualification or equivalent work experience in education or a related discipline
- Teaching through online or blended modes of delivery
- Curriculum design
- Substantial experience working in organisations delivering online or blended learning programs
- Excellent understanding of:
- Pedagogical approaches for experiential and challenge-based learning
- Methods and approaches to academic capability development
- Effective adoption of contemporary learning technologies and learning management systems
- Expertise in development and delivery of academic professional development
- Highly developed educational design skills
- Demonstrated stakeholder management and change management skills, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lead successful pilots and implement new technology-enabled approaches to learning and teaching
- Business acumen and project management skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and effectively as a member of a team
- Experience with Project Management, Business or IT programs