Human Resource Generalist
Starting Salary Range: $50,200 to $69,090 per year
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001346-Dean Office of
Personnel area: School of Arts & Sciences
Purpose of Position:
Position reports to the KSAS/WSE Office of Human Resources, HR Manager of Operations and provides independent professional HR support to KSAS/WSE in the HR functional areas of employee relations, talent acquisition, talent management, training, compensation/benefits administration, communications, and payroll. This position is located at the Homewood Campus (Baltimore) and may be imbedded in a larger department.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Knowledge of employment laws (including FLSA, FMLA), recruiting procedures, compensation practices, personnel reporting and record keeping as well as employee relations required
- Knowledge of benefits administration and immigration regulations strongly desired
- Must have proficiency working with the web, databases and spreadsheets, as well as word processing and electronic mail
- Strong consulting and negotiation skills needed to be able to provide appropriate counsel and advise
- Must have the ability to communicate well verbally and in writing and to work collaboratively with others both within KSAS and externally with the HR community
- Creativity and resourcefulness needed to be able to handle various HR issues and concerns effectively while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to problem solve and resolve conflict
- Ability to research, analyze and interpret data
- Ability to anticipate needs and follow through
- Must demonstrate good judgment, strong initiative and energy as well as a cooperative spirit
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or other related field
- Three years of progressive experience in a professional human resources capacity
- 5+ years of related experience required
- Prior JHU experience, or experience in higher education is a plus.
- Experience with SAP or other enterprise resource planning software is a plus
- Familiarity with Interfolio or other applicant tracking software is helpful
Internal and External Contacts:
- Exchange Information: University and KSAS/WSE HR/Payroll staff
- Advise/Consult: KSAS administrators/managers, faculty and staff
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
General HR Consultation
- Act as consultant/contact/liaison for faculty, staff and management on HR issues including personnel practices and University policy, employee relations, compensation, training, recruitment and benefits. Partners with KSAS/WSE HR Manager or Director as needed
- Coordinate and/or implement Supervisory Training courses
- Assist managers/supervisors in the completion of performance evaluations
- Increase employee engagement and maintain positive employee relations by facilitating communication and problem resolution
- Under the direction of the KSAS/WSE HR Manager or Director, draft and review disciplinary actions including performance improvement plans
- Provide one-to-one counseling to support progressive discipline and actions
- Assist departments in writing/updating position descriptions for classification review
Staff Recruitment and Employment
- Work with managers and supervisors to assess staffing needs and develop requisitions and job descriptions based on those needs
- Interview and screen staff applicants, provide interview training and coordinate searches with recruiter and hiring departments
- Partner with managers, supervisors, and JHU Compensation to determine appropriate compensation for prospective employees, merit increases, equity adjustments, etc.
- Assist with faculty applicant tracking and dissemination of information
- Assist departments with hiring temporary staff from agencies
Transactional and Office Administration
- Administer JHU’s staff policies and processes for KSAS/WSE; maintain appropriate records for both schools
- Meet with faculty, staff, students for the initiation and completion of I-9 documents in the E-Verify system
- Initiate and/or approve various HR transactions within SAP to establish positions, hire, change salaries, etc.
- Participate in the execution of payroll transactions in SAP as an initiator and/or approver
- Generate BW Analysis reports to track information, review salary equity, develop organization charts, etc.
- Serve as backup to the Payroll Coordinator for E210 timekeeping system administration and other payroll functions
- Perform JHED administration functions as needed for new hires, contractors and current JHED ID holders
- Serve as backup to other HR Generalists within KSAS/WSE
- Advise employees on human resource programs available within JHU, such as mediation, FASAP (Faculty and Staff Assistance Program), Work/Life, etc.
- Serve as Unit Based Coordinator for KSAS/WSE in the JHU Mediation program
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.