How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Duderstadt Center, on the University of Michigan’s North Campus, is one of the most dynamic spaces at the university. The center is open 24/7 during the academic year and is home to advanced technology labs, media studios, a gallery, the Art, Architecture and Engineering Library, Engineering IT, the Center for Entrepreneurship, and ArtsEngine. With a bustling cafe, conferencing facilities, student group activities, and visits from job recruiters, there is almost always something happening in the center. The Facilities Manager is essential to the success of this activity by analyzing space utilization, developing forward-looking space planning, and communicating regularly with the center’s stakeholders and leadership to address day-to-day infrastructure needs.
- Plan and coordinate design, construction, renovation, and maintenance projects for the center.
- Determine feasibility of modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, employee scheduling, and other technical and budgetary factors.
- Direct activities and staff involved in design, planning, construction coordination, modification, maintenance and administration of all facilities and equipment.
- Prepare annual facilities operations budget; manage budgets, related accounts; monitor and report on expenditures.
- Manage the center’s facilities staff and student employees including hiring and performance management.
- Ensure a clean, safe, secure, and well-maintained building environment conducive to those who work, study, and visit the Duderstadt Center.
- Respond to emergencies and after-hours calls that sometimes require working at night or on the weekend. Participate in the planning and support of business continuity and disaster recovery efforts.
- Collaborate with building stakeholders and leadership on developing long-range space plans to meet and anticipate needs.
- Collect and analyze space utilization data to inform planning.
- Manage and coordinate work carried out by service providers from outside the university.
- Review regular inspections related to fire safety, elevators, hoists, and video studio lighting grids. Coordinate corrective actions with stakeholders and service providers.
- Coordinate signage, occupancy directory, keys, and access for building stakeholders.
- Oversee the scheduling and support of the center’s bookable spaces.
- Bachelor's degree and five to seven years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to effectively problem solve and manage a variety of complex projects independently and with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to foster a professional, team-oriented environment with commitment to customer service, flexibility, and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to tailor communications for various types of audiences.
- Strong supervision and organizational skills, with attention to detail and an ability to work under pressure and complete multiple tasks on-time.
- Strong technical knowledge of building electrical, mechanical, fire suppression, and HVAC systems and applicable codes.
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents, exhibiting a sound understanding of the built environment from foundations to roofing systems.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.