Database Analyst II (DBA II)
Coordinate and perform a variety of technical and creative duties for data analytics, data modeling and data management using an array of software applications, framework, techniques and tools to design and develop and test custom solutions, reports and applications and provide support to existing applications for the Duke Cancer Institute (DCI).
This position reports to the DCI IT Application & Database Development Manager and to the Associate Director of the Clinical Trials Office & Business Development
Responsibilities and Expectations
OnCore and Complion – 50% Effort
- Extensive reporting and data extraction using Forte’s OnCore clinical trial management system (CTMS)
- Complion - Responsible for providing support, troubleshooting, managing upgrades and features, providing data reporting and customer support
DCI Applications – 10% Effort
- Administration and management of applications on DCI’s application team. Primary applications include Metric and Extraview.
- Responsible for data analysis, data interpretation using statistical techniques to design, develop and test custom solutions, reports and applications and integrate with web applications
Application Development / Data Management – 30% Effort
- Foster and build relationships with clinical research teams, leadership, IT/development to develop custom solutions
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Act as the lead person for the data management by creating dashboards and metrics
- Act as departmental liaison to other departments as it relates to data analytics
- Evaluate new data analytics tools for scalability, industry approval and consistency
- Research information/best practices that enhance the significance of dashboard. Work to keep the dashboard up to date enforcing standards and available technologies
Compliance – 10% Effort
- Adhere to Duke Security and Standards as related to HIPPA and provide training and assistance on issues regarding data analysis and management
- Attend staff meetings, conferences and trainings as assigned
And other work as assigned
- Experience in design, development and testing of data analytical applications, dashboards, enhanced reporting capabilities using Jasper Reports, Tableau, Business Objects, Crystal Reports and business intelligence processes and technologies and integration with web technologies
- Advanced skills in writing SQL queries in multiple databases – SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced skills in Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Office and experience with VBA and macros preferred
- Must have strong mathematical and statistical skill set to maintain accurate data reporting and analysis
- Effective communication skills - interpersonal, presentation and written
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate and explain reports, models, and dashboards to various levels throughout the organization, from front line management up to C-level executives
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail to meet deadlines in an environment of constantly changing priorities
- Problem Solving, Analytical and Conceptual thinking - using logic and reason, creative and strategic thinking
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities
- Basic understanding of underlying technologies and architecture that support dashboards and data analytics
- Familiarity with code versioning software: Git, SVN, CVS
- Basic understanding and experience with deployment to web and modern web security best practices.
- Ability to write good test cases and automated unit tests for all code.
- Ability to support existing applications like Extraview, Metriq and Redcap according to given requirements.
- Ability to document the code and create and maintain SOPs
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers and train team members and end users.
- Ability to complete tasks as assigned with close oversight
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
The intent of this job description is to be representative of the level and the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities.
- Experience with Complion (or other eRegulatory solutions for clinical research)
- Experience with OnCore (or other Clinical Trial Management Systems – CTMS)
- Experience with Jasper Reports, Tableau, Business Objects, Crystal Reports or similar tools and business intelligence (BI) software tools.
- Experience with web development tools and programming or scripting tools like Python, Ruby
- Experience working in multi Operating System environments - Windows and Linux
- 4 years of experience providing training and/or education
Qualifications Required At This Level
Work requires a bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field or the equivalent coursework or technical training.
Work requires 4 years of progressive programming or database administration experience to include design, implementation, tuning, backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of relational databases for a complex computer network. Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Requisition Number: 401510858
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 2293 DATABASE ANALYST II
Job Family Level: 70
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field.
Work requires 4 years of progressive programming or database administration experience to include design, implementation, tuning,backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of relational databases for a complex computer network.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID106232BR