Hospitalist physicians in the Hospital Medicine Department are clinicians and/or clinician educators who provide clinical care for patients admitted at Duke University Health System hospitals, support surgical and specialty services through consultative general internal medicine practice, and teach staff, graduate medical trainees, and medical students on inpatient educational rotations.
Hospitalists will engage in direct patient care activities and medical/clinical practice as the principal component of his/her overall professional responsibility within the Department. Patient care activities will include, but are not be limited to:
- Assessment, evaluation, diagnostic determination, on-going treatment and clinical management, necessary referral for consultation,care planning and modification, medications/therapeutic orders, transfer authorization, risk assessment, and, when appropriate, determination of readiness and planning for discharge for inpatients at DUHS hospitals.
- Direct contact and consultation with patient family members,friends, advocates, and others to ensure effective communication of patient status and care plans, and to encourage/support an open visitor-friendly environment within the medical/hospital environment,
- Extensive and on-going communications with community primary care physicians who routinely manage the care of patients currently in the hospital
- Day-to-day patient contact/rounding/care management that actively encourages and includes professional input from all members of the patient care team
- Accurate and timely completion of all clinical and professional records and documentation to assure compliance with local, state and federal regulatory, licensure and accreditation requirements.
- Work to create a positive work culture within cross-departmental teams and align this work with other Hospital Medicine initiatives.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Clinical training and skills as mandated by the American Board of Internal Medicine for General Internal Medicine physicians
- Ability to work with others in a cooperative, collaborative manner.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- For clinician educators, strong clinical teaching skills
Requisition Number: 401510125
Duke Entity: DUKE RALEIGH HOSPITAL
Job Code: 5512 HOSPITALIST PHYSICIAN
Job Family Level: K2
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a MD, DO, and completion of advanced graduate medical education in Internal Medicine with board eligibility or board certification in internal medicine.
Training experiences as mandated by the ABIM for board eligibility are required, clinical and teaching experience in an inpatient healthcare environment including experience in both large academic medical center and community hospital environments is preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Physician will maintain a current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina, federal and state prescriptive authority, and will obtain and maintain board certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine in accordance with the Medical Staff By laws of the DUHS Hospitals.
Auto req: ID106145BR