Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Student-Faculty Programs Office manages several undergraduate research programs for Caltech and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). Under general supervision from the Director, this position will manage the financial and budgetary functions of the office. The SFP office is a small, but mighty group! This position is vital in the overall success of the office. This position must be able to interact well with the team, produce high-quality work, and add to a pleasant working atmosphere.
- Reconcile and monitor 20+ accounts. This includes setting-up new accounts; preparing monthly status reports, including summary and detailed expenditures and available balances; and overseeing projections.
- Work with Director to develop long-range budgets for SFP programs.
- Assist in monitoring multiple endowment accounts and donor stewardship efforts.
- Assist with financial aspects of grant reporting.
- Develop office policies and procedures that comply with Institute policies and procedures.
- Manage office accounts payable and receivable; P-card reconciliation; internal charges; and purchasing.
- Process expense reports, advances, reimbursements, and payment requests.
- Deposit reimbursement checks and ensures proper accounting of such deposits.
- Assist with financial processes related to SFP events and programs.
- Assist with hiring and payroll functions for over 900 summer students.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field or 3+ years related work experience.
- Must be able to work independently; have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills; close attention to detail and accuracy is essential.
- Knowledge of various software systems including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to synthesize complex and diverse information and prepare analytical and statistical summaries and presentations.
- Ability to apply basic accounting principles and a demonstrated understanding of budget preparation, monitoring, and management.
- Experience with Caltech systems and applications (Oracle, Cognos, Card Quest, Techmart, etc.).
- Experience with Filemaker Pro.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Caltech financial policies and procedures.
- Cover letter