Starting Salary Range: $13.83
Employee group: Casual / On Call - Casual / On Call during 90 probationary period
Schedule: M - F; 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002572-SOM Admin Facilities Maintenance and Ops
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Performs minor building repairs and maintenance. Assists more experienced maintenance workers as required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Repairs, replaces or adjusts common or simple malfunctioning apparatus or parts such as water faucets, flushes, drains, light fixtures, motor drive belts, sump pumps, switches, fuses, door checks, elementary lock sets, and hinges.
- Measures and cuts lumber and other building materials as needed. Nails flooring, sheathing, and paneling.
- Prepares and applies paint on walls, partitions, and floors where extensive painting experience is not required.
- Assists more experienced maintenance workers in performing building repairs and maintenance as directed.
- Observes safety precautions and uses equipment properly to avoid harming self and others, and damaging property.
- Maintains equipment and work area in clean and orderly condition.
- May be required to be available for 24 hour calls.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience/Skills & Abilities Required:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Two years of experience preferred.
Education/Experience/Skills & Abilities Required (Continuation)
- Ability to lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk or otherwise move about on a continuous basis.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders periodically to perform building maintenance.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use a full range of craftsmen’s tools.
- Ability to read and write in order to read work orders and to complete records, maintenance schedules, and so forth.
- Ability to interact and/or work with faculty, students, staff, and visitors in a respectful and courteous manner.
- Appropriate valid driver’s license with good driving record preferred
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.