Information Technology Analyst
Job Title: DHTS Business Analyst/Business Intelligence Developer
- The DHTS Business Analyst/Business Intelligence Developer functions as the data and reporting expert for the Duke Transplant Center and is responsible in working with their leadership to understand their data and information needs and to provide expert consultation on available tools, design options, and relevant data elements.
- Key responsibilities of the BID include:
- Meet and collaborate with Duke Transplant Center stakeholders to understand the EHR data, information, and analytic needs of the transplant business units.
- Lead the integration of changes to Epic to establish documentation standards across the Duke Transplant Center.
- Gather detailed business requirements and create technical documentation.
- Understanding of the operational workflows, the data generated, the fields in which they are housed, the relationship of the data to and across modules, and the relevance of the data to core entities (patient, provider, location) is crucial to the ability to produce informed data deliverables.
- Develop and implement an appropriate quality acceptance testing and validation strategy to ensure completeness and accuracy of data prior to customer UAT and migration of solution into the production environment. Includes analyzing data in source systems to assess data quality.
- Use all tools as relevant to develop the right solution to meet customer data needs. Available tools include but are not limited to: Clarity, Reporting Workbench, Radar Dashboards, Registries and Universes, Business Objects Crystal, WEBi, Tableau, and SQL. This requires an understanding of the strengths and limitations of each tool set.
- Understand and follow all established guidelines with respect to development, migration of data through environments to Production, and maintenance. Ensure that all data deliverables conform to established Duke Transplant Center standards; specifically change management processes, reporting naming conventions, and maintenance of enterprise reporting library.
- Maintain impeccable communication with internal and external stakeholders regarding the development status of work requests.
- Collaborate with transplant team members to improve their knowledge and use of data systems.
- Establish knowledge of UNOS and CMS requirement for data reporting.
LEVEL 1 (BID):
- Individual contributor representing the most common entry point for this career ladder; works under the direct supervision of Sr. BID, Team Lead, or higher.
- Demonstrates knowledge specific to his/her respective data domain and module(s); demonstrates the proven ability to accurately apply knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions (albeit in consultation with others).
- Beginning to intermediate level user of requisite technical tools for the role.
- Proven SQL coding experience at an intermediate or higher level.
- Foundational understanding of Epic Hyperspace functionality and underpinnings; working understanding of Epic Crystal Integration and able to develop reporting in Reporting Workbench.
- Understands 1 or more Epic data models and modules.
- Able to excel in a matrixed environment, both as a member of an “organizational home” team with shared functional skills and as a member of time-delimited multidisciplinary project teams spinning up as needed and dissolving upon project completion.
LEVEL 2 (Sr. BID):
- Individual contributor representing the most common career progression path for this career ladder; works in consultation with and under the supervision of departmental leadership.
- Demonstrates knowledge specific not only to his/her respective data domain and module(s) but across the broader spectrum of Epic models; demonstrates the proven ability to accurately and independently apply knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions.
- Proven SQL coding experience at an advanced to master coder level; with specific facility in performing SQL tuning.
- Collaborates as a member of a self-organizing team, in which bundles of work are scheduled, designed, built and delivered on a defined schedule. Ability to be effective in a fast-paced environment; able to communicate with teammates clearly and at the right times; ready to give and receive help to ensure the team’s overall success.
- Effective at identifying an approach to information delivery that will prove successful, and skilled at selling that approach to project team members and the sponsor/customer.
- Engaged team player with fully aligned attitudes and behaviors and committed to achieving our enterprise mission
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of equivalent technical experience required if no degree.
- Degree in Information Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, or Engineering (Health Information Management) preferred.
If not achieved prior to employment, certification in indicated Epic Phoenix data model(s) and module(s) is required within 6 months of employment except where otherwise negotiated; certification in Epic Phoenix model is a condition of employment. Relevant data model and modules will be communicated at time of employment. Certification is required on the Epic version current at DUHS.
1+ years of related business intelligence development experience is required for the level 1 BID role or 3+ years for the Sr. BID role; additional years of experience is strongly preferred for the level 2 BID. Recent and prior healthcare or transplantation experience is strongly preferred.
- Solid experience and knowledge developing complex SQL scripts (intermediate to high intermediate, advanced/expert SQL programmer dependent on entry level).
- Strong hands-on working knowledge of analytical tools and business intelligence tools (MS SQL Server/Oracle, SAP, Clarity, Reporting Workbench, Slicer Dicer, Tableau) (knowledge of statistical packages a plus)
- Impeccable presentation skills and the proven ability to tailor messages appropriately dependent on the specific audience.
- Exceptional written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
- Able to produce data flow diagrams that can easily show data lineage.
- Competent in the skill to plan and facilitate meetings with diverse participants and requirements gathering and data analysis.
- Documenting and analyzing workflow and clinical processes.
- Proven ability to translate business questions and requirements into data and information deliverables using relevant business intelligence tools.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Requisition Number: 401510065
Duke Entity: HEALTH SYSTEM
Job Code: 3844 DHTS IT ANALYST
Job Family Level: CD
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of equivalent technical experience required. LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: Credential requirements will vary, depending on work area.
Level 1 - No experience required beyond the minimum education (or equivalency) requirement. Level 2 - Two years of related experience is required. Level 3 - Four years of related experience is required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req: ID106099BR