Duke University Health System seeks to hire Nurse Anesthetist Registered Nurses who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together. Positions are available at Duke Regional Hospital, Duke University Hospital and affiliated Duke Health entities. Choose Duke to enjoy our culture of excellence, an outstanding benefits package including pension plan contribution and relocation support, plus lifelong career opportunities throughout our Health System!
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full Time: Various hours including Days and Rotating.
Duke University Hospital is comprised of three surgical sites; Duke Hospital, which is a 24-hour, 7 day a week, Level 1 Trauma Center with 35 Operating Rooms connected to the Duke Medicine Pavilion (DMP) with 18 operating rooms. Additionally, we have an Ambulatory Surgery Center with 9 operating rooms offering a variety of services that provide outpatient procedures offering the latest technology for adult and pediatric patients, as well as an Eye Center with 6 operating rooms providing highly specialized surgery for all ophthalmology including; glaucoma/corneal transplant, cataracts, vitreo-retinal, Neuro-ophthalmology and pediatrics. We facilitate a streamlined approach to serving patients within the continuum of surgical care while maintaining high standards of excellence. By becoming part of the Duke Surgical Services team, you will have opportunities to participate in national and international research, education, and cutting edge technologies.
Duke University Hospital includes eight specialties offering new and exciting opportunities in both adult and pediatrics using the latest technological advancements including two intraoperative MRI suites and two intraoperative CT suites.
- General Surgery
- Otolaryngology Head & Neck (ENT)
Duke Regional Hospital Profile
Duke Regional Hospital has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance counties and the surrounding communities for nearly 40 years. With more than 1,700 employees, its focus is on providing outstanding medical care with compassionate, personalized service in a comfortable community hospital setting. Duke Regional Hospital has 369 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular services, and also offers care at the Duke Rehabilitation Institute and Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center. In fiscal year 2016, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 15,792 patients and had 123,234 outpatient visits. U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #16 in North Carolina and #6 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2016-17.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- All three Duke Hospitals have received Magnet designation for excellence in nursing.
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
- Tuition Reimbursement & Loan Forgiveness!
Administer anesthetics to render patients insensible to pain during surgical, obstetrical and other medical procedures.
- Administer general anesthetics to render patients insensible to pain during surgical, obstetrical and other medical procedures; take necessary remedial action to aspirate secretions from throat larynx and trachea as required.
- Determine, set up and prepare necessary drugs, supplies and equipment for the administration of anesthetics; assemble gas machine and test to insure proper functioning; ensure availability of proper type blood for emergency use.
- Study patient records to determine probable effects of anesthetic on patient; monitor vital signs during course of procedure; take necessary action to ensure a near normal physiological status of the patient.
- Prepare patients for anesthesia to include explaining procedures and positioning patient on operating room table; record condition of patient and type of anesthetic used on patient's chart.
- Assist in moving patient from operating room to recovery area; check patient periodically and take remedial measures to alleviate unfavorable post anesthesia effects as required.
- Supervise and instruct student nurse anesthetists in the administration of general anesthetics; assist in evaluating clinical performance and progress; instruct residents, interns and allied health students in the procedures and techniques of anesthesiology.
- Disassemble equipment and clean work area; report necessary equipment repairs and adjustments to proper personnel.
- Maintain records of each anesthetic administered and prepare periodic reports related to activities.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Requisition Number 401509701
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 5060 NURSE ANESTHETIST
Job Family Level K1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Master's degree from a school of nurse anesthesia approved by the State Accrediting Agency and the Council on Accreditation of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA) required.
None required above education/training requirement.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required. Eligibility for certification by the AANA as a certified Nurse Anesthetist is required.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID