Business Intelligence Engineer
Job Classification/Title: Business Intelligence Engineer
Job Code: 4776
Department: Business Affairs, University IT
Responsible for development of technical analysis and design, new programming, modifications, scheduling, tuning, testing and maintenance of systems in support of new and existing Business Intelligence(BI) and other projects.
- Consult with client groups to assess user needs and requirements.
- Perform data analysis, design and development of new and ongoing business intelligence (BI) tools involving complex EDW structures OR on OLTP systems.
- Provide technical design, coding, testing, implementation, maintenance, system and technical support for BI initiatives.
- Conduct and participate in code walkthroughs and document technical design. Assist in Quality Control testing. Troubleshoot and solve technical problems
- Meticulously build BI applications following software methodologies defined.
- Follow the release cycles and implement on-time delivery of bug fixes, change requests and enhancements.
- Monitor ETL processes, system audits, Dashboard Reporting and Presentation Layer functioning and performance and pro-actively fix issues as found. Support the performance of systems.
- Support Source upgrades, Hardware/Software upgrade projects with impact analysis, fixes and end-to-end testing. Provide operational support on failures and outages.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience in Computer Science, or Engineering or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic understanding of software engineering principles and skills working on Unix/Linux/Windows Operating systems, Version Control and Office software.
- Strong programming skills, relational database skills with expertise in Advanced SQL and PL/Sql. Skills in Shell Programming.
- Understanding in Business Intelligence and Data warehousing concepts and methodologies.
- Strong in ETL, presentation layer and reporting design strategies. Ability to support custom built ETL, auditing and scheduling programs.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems with right solutions.
- Analytical capabilities to slice and dice data and display data in reports for best user experience.
- Demonstrated ability to review business processes and translate into BI reporting and analysis solutions.
- Ability to follow Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) process and should be able to work under any project management methodologies used.
- Ability to follow best practices and standards.
- Ability to identify BI application performance bottlenecks and tune.
- Expertise and experience in BI Tools – Informatica, OBIEE, OBIA and any other ETL tools
- Ability to programmatically process data in flat files, transform and load into Data warehouse.
- Quick learner of any new technologies OR business processes.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk.
- Rarely writing by hand; lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You:
- Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus will offer amenities such a onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.