The Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research (DoR) oversees five shared research facilities and Stanford’s 18 independent labs, institutes, and centers, which span the life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, humanities, engineering, and medicine. DoR also oversees offices that support the research enterprise, including the offices of Environmental Health and Safety, Science Outreach, Research Compliance, International Affairs, Science Outreach, and Technology Licensing.
These institutes are in line with Stanford’s longstanding tradition of crossing boundaries to tackle large problems, engaging faculty and their students in collaborations that range from international and economic studies to challenges facing the environment, energy and health. The DoR seeks a dynamic, detail-oriented Human Resources Associate to provide exceptional HR client support to the associate directors, faculty, students and staff within the DoR units. As the HR Associate, you will be the first point of contact for all inquiries related to HR systems, processes, and policies. You will bring an organized, proactive approach to the daily operations of our dynamic HR team while managing HR administrative processes, people data, employment activity, documentation, and special projects. Reporting to the DoR HR Director, your responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a resource on human resources issues, effectively communicate human resources policies, and explain human resources processes and procedures. Resolve basic issues as appropriate. Refer other issues to human resources manager/director or supervisor for resolution.
- Coordinate the recruitment process, including job postings, interview scheduling, and applicant disposition with hiring managers, human resources staff, and/or supervisors.
- Support and coordinate employment activities (transactions and documentation). Assist in onboarding and exit process of staff.
- May support the process (transactions and documentation) for academic and staff appointments/reappointments and student/post-doctoral appointments.
- Coordinate and/or perform HRIS data management activities, including initiating transactions and running reports for compliance, audit, and metrics purposes. Ensure data integrity, and serve as primary contact for identifying and resolving pay issues. May perform time and leave administration duties and input data to financial system.
- Explain applicable disability and leave procedures, and generate related correspondence; update and maintain reports to track leaves.
- Assist in the communication of the annual performance appraisal process; review and track incoming performance appraisal forms.
- Maintain personnel and human resources related files.
- Provide general administrative support for human resources staff.
- * - Other duties may also be assigned MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
Associate degree and two years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to learn and apply general human resources policies using problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and effectively handle highly sensitive and personal information with sound judgment, tact, and discretion.
- Ability to consistently follow through with projects and assignments and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Familiarity with human resource management systems, such as PeopleSoft and time/leave systems. Experience using emai land internet.
- Certifications and Licenses:
- HR Certification (PHR, SPHR or related) desired.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS*:
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, and use a telephone.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds, sort/file paperwork.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, operate foot and/or hand controls.
- * - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Travel on campus to schools/units, out of town.
- WORK STANDARDS:
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Human Resources Administrator 1
Job Code: 4701
Exemption: Non-exempt Perks of Working at Stanford:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.