Academic Operations Manager 2
Unit: Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP)
Working Title: Associate Director for Finance and Administration
Job Grade: K
Job Code: 4132
Exemption Status: Exempt, Continuing
Heralded as a hub of undergraduate innovation, the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) creates and sustains meaningful interactions between students and faculty both within and outside the classroom. As a team member of VPUE, you have a unique opportunity to advance and support programs that touch and enhance the lives of every undergraduate student at Stanford.
The Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP) offers Stanford students the opportunity to study abroad while remaining enrolled at Stanford. BOSP currently operates quarter-length programs in Australia, Berlin, Cape Town, Florence, Hong Kong, Istanbul, Kyoto, Madrid, Oxford, Paris, and Santiago. Each Summer Quarter, BOSP offers three-to four-week Overseas Seminars and Faculty Initiated Programs in various locations. In addition, BOSP also offers internships and other “away from Stanford” opportunities. Approximately 50 percent of each graduating class has participated in a BOSP program during their undergraduate career.
BOSP is seeking an Associate Director for Finance and Administration to provide management and coordination of administrative, and operations-related functions of the BOSP home office, eight (8) overseas centers, and various academic partnership and faculty-led education abroad programs. The Associate Director for Finance and Administration reports to the Associate Vice Provost, Executive Director.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization and the day-to-day operations. Responsible for direct supervision of (2) accountants and (1) IT technical manager in the home office and dotted line responsibilities for finance administrators at each of the overseas centers. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees.
- Oversee the management of the annual budget cycle, including developing, monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting of a complex budget totaling roughly $18M, supporting 11 academic programs in 11 different countries, and 8 different currencies.
- Design implement, and manage the process for and allocation of expenditures among operating budget, auxiliary, expendable, designated, and endowment funds.
- Design and manage the process to track gift funds including endowment, expendable and designated funds. Support the work of the development and alumni affairs staff.
- May independently or in collaboration with human resources managers, guide associate vice provost, executive director, faculty director, and center directors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Develop business plans and infrastructure to support research and teaching. Provide analysis and review of multi-year plans, including providing alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary. Influence leadership on specific recommendations for current operation and for future development of the organization and lead process improvement.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Manage and coordinate grants and contracts for the department. Ensure compliance with institutional and external requirements.
- Represent the BOSP’s business and academic operations within the organization. May represent the organization to external constituencies such as; Global Business Services, Global Human Resources, the Controller’s Office, Budget Office, Risk Management, Internal Audit, Office of General Counsel, and other university offices on issues of fiscal and/or operational management.
- Analyze unit needs and make recommendations to leadership for changes in staffing, facilities, health and safety compliance, finance, technology and/or administrative functions.
- Provide oversight for facility issues within the home office and all established centers. Facilities range from university-owned, leased, to entirely managed by third party providers. As appropriate, liaising with campus and local partners, provide oversight of major maintenance, repair, and/or construction projects on facilities abroad.
- Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Strong expertise in grants and contract administration.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
- Expert proficiency in business applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Oracle or other business financial systems. Ability to quickly learn new technologies and financial software applications.
- Advanced understanding of Financial principals. Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity with the ability to bridge the cultural behaviors and needs of other countries with the legal and financial needs of the U.S.
- Demonstrated competency in project management of high volume of work, some of which is cyclical.
- Ability to interpret complex research and fiscal policies, assimilate information from a wide range of resources and serve as a mentor and resource to others.
*-Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Advanced degree in related field.
- Stanford University experience and knowledge of Stanford’s accounting systems, rules, and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage all administrative, technical, financial
- , and facility needs of a multi-national operation.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and manage the budgetary implications of currency fluctuations.
- Ability to independently travel internationally.
- Experience working within a multinational environment.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing opportunities. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
If you’re ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to explore this opportunity and apply online. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in management and finace and experience with attention to detail, responsiveness and decision making.